Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Localization for an app

[eluser]Maglok[/eluser]
I am writing an application that will need to be in two languages. I got some ideas on how to do it, but have never done it. So I figure I'd explain how I plan to do it, so that anyone that has done it can yell at me and explain how it can be done easier.

I am going to create two subdomains, both with a index.php and a constant that defines the language and base_url. Thus the english and the dutch (the two languages) versions of the website have two different entrypoints (the customer wanted it that way).

I then figure I should replace any strings in the application with variables and write a config file that is basically a huge list that I can reference. One for english the other for dutch. Depending on the language constant it will read either dutch or english.

I figure getting a constant from the config file (the dictionary if you will) and then putting it on the place of the String.

I just don't think using the syntax "echo $this->config->item('variable')" is the best way, any way to make that easier? To the tune of echo $text['balbla'] or something?

As far as I know CI 1.7.2 doesn't come with localization options.

Messages In This Thread
Localization for an app - by El Forum - 08-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Localization for an app - by El Forum - 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Localization for an app - by El Forum - 08-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Localization for an app - by El Forum - 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Localization for an app - by El Forum - 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Localization for an app - by El Forum - 08-09-2010, 07:29 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB