Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Sending Email From Home Linux Server (For Testing Purposes)

[eluser]Nalorin[/eluser]
Hi All,

I'm wondering: is it possible to send email from my own Linux server to an actual email address (like my personal Gmail address) if I have sendmail installed on my server?

I would simply check, but I've never dealt with sending emails from a server before, so I don't know if there's any special configurations to do and, if it wasn't working, I wouldn't know if it was because sendmail wasn't configured properly or if it was because I can't send email from my workstation at home (that has the linux server running on it).

I appreciate the input!

Cheers,

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
I always use an email config file for my development websites (on my local machine, but your linux server is behind an ISP home IP too so it's the same thing.)

Code:
<?php  if ( ! defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed');
/*
| -------------------------------------------------------------------
| EMAIL CONFING
| -------------------------------------------------------------------
| Configuration of outgoing mail server.
| */
$config['protocol']='smtp';
$config['smtp_host']='ssl://smtp.googlemail.com';
$config['smtp_port']=465;
$config['smtp_timeout']=30;
$config['smtp_user']='******@gmail.com';
$config['smtp_pass']='******';
$config['charset']='utf-8';  
$config['newline']="\r\n";

/* End of file email.php */
/* Location: ./system/application/config/email.php */

Make sure the openssl extension is installed and working (check your local php.ini.)

This works well. Another thing you can try is using your ISP's outgoing (smtp) server (with or without smtp credentials depending on which works.)

UPDATE:

Alternately, since, it'd be coming from your own linux server, you could setup nullmailer and configure it to forward to your ISP's outgoing server (requires no email.php config file.)

[eluser]Nalorin[/eluser]
hrmm.. I don't have openssl installed, and I don't wanna rebuild my php right now - a bit too busy Tongue

I also tried configuring it with my Godaddy hosting account, and it didn't work. I think I may have to come back to this later.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB