Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI for php5 ONLY

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I'd like know if exists someone project to change the CI for php5 only.

Regards,

Henrique de Castro

[eluser]Matthew Pennell[/eluser]
CI already works fine on PHP5 - what would be the point of removing the backward-compatibility parts?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I believe that the CI could be faster working for PHP5 only

[eluser]champs[/eluser]
I wouldn't expect dramatic performance differences, particularly the way the PHP4 and PHP5 code is kept separate, but Kohana is PHP5-only, and somewhat familiar for CI users.

[eluser]danoph[/eluser]
If the big hosting companies (GoDaddy) would switch to PHP5 anytime soon since PHP4 is ancient and even PHP5 is old now, I would say that's a good idea.

[eluser]MissYeh[/eluser]
Hello,

I downloaded CodeIgniter today and I love it! I have a very similar question as to Henrique7. As I noted in the User Guide:

Code:
Note: CodeIgniter will run on PHP 5.
It simply does not take advantage of any native features that are only available in that version.

I've been coding with PHP4 for a while now and I want to learn to code with PHP5. I really want to use CodeIgniter since I tested some other frameworks that just didn't had what CodeIgniter does have for me.

It's great to keep CodeIgnite backwards compatible.. but will it be fully compatible with PHP5 as well one day?

ETA: I just read this reply about CI and PHP5
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/61540/#303632

I'll just try to code with PHP5 and see what happens in the current CI Smile

[eluser]spider pig[/eluser]
Currently version 2.0.0 of Codeigniter is being tested. The wiki for CI 2.0.0 says:

"PHP 4 support is deprecated. Features new to 2.0.0 may not support PHP 4, and all legacy features will no longer support PHP 4 as of 2.1.0." - http://bitbucket.org/ellislab/codeignite...What's New

So it's best to look for we hosting that supports PHP5... especially if you want to upgrade to CI 2.x in the future.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB