Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter ACL from Mojomotor

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
One of a couple of reasons for purchasing Mojomotor a simple CMS built on-top of Codeigniter 2.0 by EllisLab was because it's a non-modified standard CI 2.0 application and I wanted to take a peek at how EllisLab do certain things and solutions for things like AJAX.

Anyway.. It dawned on me: Mojomotor has simple but quite effective ACL which is effectively a library built for CI 2.0. So if Mojomotor is production ready, why doesn't EllisLab just take the already written auth class and throw it into CI 2.0 for people wanting simple authentication?

It's already written and working for CI 2.0, so it would only require a few small tweaks to work out of the box. If CI has a cart class the argument of, "adding ACL to Codeigniter would make it bloated as it's an unneeded thing" is pretty weak. Remove the cart class and replace it with simple auth any day and I bet hardly anyone will complain.

Someone from EllisLab care to weigh in on this?

[eluser]Pschilly[/eluser]
I am not from EllisLab but if memory serves, Mojomotor is a cash bought licensed software. Why would they from a business standpoint take their scripting they are making money on and give it away for free?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if they would... But it does not make business sense.

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
If thats your logic, CI would not exist for public at all Smile I bet there are many helpers and libraries that have come to life when they have developed EE, so why not ACL lib from mojomotor? Personally I havent checked mojomotor's code at all so I dont know how good is it.

That's true Cahva... but didn't CI exist before EE/Mojo?

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
Expression Engine was released in 2004 according to this article, so its indeed older than CI. I remember reading some other article about CI that its roots are from developing EE. But dont count on my memory, google it ;-)

Hmm... Crazy... Well either way... As much as my logic would dictate that CI wouldn't be free too... It still makes sense Tongue

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Don't forget that by making CI freely accessable, they've managed to get a huge following.

All of these people are now capable of writing extensions for EE and MM. Which means more web agencies are going to use it for their clients' projects. Which means selling more...

aka: bizness101!

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
I am fairly certain that the inception of Codeigniter stemmed from EE the first place. As for the taking the auth library component from Mojomotor from a business standpoint, it wouldn't all of a sudden cause EllisLab to start losing copious amounts of cash as auth is a standard part of a CMS and therefore not a selling point in Mojomotor. For example; Wordpress has ACL, but that's not why people use it.

People use Mojomotor because it's easy to use and really simple, and for the in-page editing features, etc..

It might not be a complete solution, but heck it has done at least 90% of the leg work for an awesome ACL component in CI.

[eluser]pkrstic[/eluser]
Wordpress and CI are not comparable when it comes to authentication and acl. But cart library is not necessary to framework, how many projects use cart, from my experience 5%, but authentication and acl I used on every. I don't think they will loss money if they include auth/acl library, it could attract only more people to CI. This is obviously project come from something else, just look upload class, and integration of image processing functions with upload. Totally necessary, since ratio of uploading images in my case is 60/40, in favor of images over other file types (video, audio, archives, documents). This also means I don't need this integrated, and again we have bloated code. And don't mix auth and acl, auth is more important to exists in framework than acl, acl is much easier to implement than auth.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB