Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
GZip handling

[eluser]shadow player[/eluser]
Hi

I just checked out how CI handles gzip compression in the 'Output.php' core library.

There's a better solution for enabling gZip compression or not, without having to mess with headers:

Code:
if(!ob_start('ob_gzhandler')) ob_start();
this will enable gzip on the OB only if the browser support gzip. Else it will start a normal uncompressed OB.

Apache itself will check the browser for gzip support and if it's not supported:
Code:
ob_start('ob_gzhandler');
will return false.

This will emprove perfomance for compressed pages. Smile

It may also be a good idea to leave this enabled by default, I have used it in tons of PHP scripts and never have had any trouble.

Best regards
Tom

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
ob_start will interfere with the Output Class!

I had an ob_start at the beginning of one of my pages and it refused to display {elapsed_time} and {memory_usage}

InsiteFX

That's obvious... you can't start more than one OB. But the code I'm posting is ment for the Output Class to use, not for the user.

You can extend the Output Class and add your code to it.

application/core/MY_Output.php

InsiteFX

I'm not trying to implement it, I know that it works.
I'm proposing this solution to be included in the code of a future version of CI...

Then you need to add it on the Reactor User Voice or it will never even get looked at!

CodeIgniter - Reactor User Voice

InsiteFX

[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1302473789"]Then you need to add it on the Reactor User Voice or it will never even get looked at!

CodeIgniter - Reactor User Voice

InsiteFX[/quote]

Thank you very much =)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB