Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Explaining the CI source code

[eluser]Sameh R. Labib[/eluser]
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for help writing a series of posts that explain the CI source code. Here's a sample:

http://samehramzylabib.wordpress.com/201...explained/

I don't know how many people learn frameworks by reading their source code. But, if you think there's enough interest (and you have the skills) I would appreciate the help.

All comments are welcomed!

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
Sounds like a good idea. I personally learned a lot from reading through the CI source code.
If you put your posts in markdown language and have them in a GitHub repo I could imagine writing some posts as well. Plus contribution and collaboration is much easier with GitHub.

I don't know Git and GitHub?

Usually I edit a WP post in the WP web interface .. use the WP upload button .. view the page .. edit some more .. [Go To step 1 again].

What would my new workflow be?

Is it worth learning Git and GitHub to do this?

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
No, it would not be worth your time learning git to write a blog. However, version control is pretty fancy and can come in handy in many different things - not only in developing software.

Your new workflow would not change that much from your current, except that you would not be editing in a WP web interface but in your favorite text editor - or e.g. Mou for having markdown syntax rendering enabled. After you created a page you would add it to version control and push the changes to the GitHub server (if using a gh-pages branch the page would also be rendered automatically) and you can either create/edit another topic or keep editing that page.

The best advantage I see in Git is decentralized version control i.e. you don't even need a working internet connection to use git - you can have a local git repository with all its benefits and a smaller footprint than SVN.

But as I said: Just for writing theses posts it wouldn't be worth your time.

Okay Phil. I like your idea. As a matter of fact I'm in the process of writing a blog post (My New Collaborative Blogging Workflow) about how I'll implement your idea.

The post is being done my old way so if you keep checking back on it you'll be getting newer stuff each time.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
Rather than a detailed explanation of how CI works, I'd rather see a detailed flowchart type illustration. The problem with the detailed explanation would be that it could be almost as hard to follow as the code itself. This is what I was thinking when I looked at your example.

[eluser]PhilTem[/eluser]
You're right @skunkbad, a flowchart of the actual CI business logic would be very helpful, too, and would also give more insight on how CI works.

Yes, some day I'll make a flowchart but first I need to really understand all the source code.

I think having an explanation of the source is important because when I'm in the middle of a CI project I may need to look at the framework source. I'll know where to look but I won't have the time to figure out exactly what it does. In that case I find it better if the CI source has been already figured out.

[eluser]Narf[/eluser]
Hey, just wanted to drop in a suggestion.

CodeIgniter 3.0 is not far from its release and its codebase is WAY more different than the 2.1.x versions, so it might be better if you don't waste your time writing on a soon to be obsolete version. Checkout the GitHub repo at https://github.com/EllisLab/CodeIgniter

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB