Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why use CodeIgniter over Laravel for new projects?

[eluser]Jubair[/eluser]
I don't think CI needs to move faster, just more effectively. i.e. plan ahead a bit better. look at what's coming up in PHP as a language and plan for it etc. I feel like if CI had more leadership, then folks would have more faith in it's future. CI is still a great framework, but the question people are wondering about is, where is it going? what is it's future? no developer wants to work on a framework that will be obsolete in a couple years... what's the point then? I just think that EllisLabs needs to work on rebuilding it's developer's confidence in the direction of CI. Lack of confidence is why many are leaving. not because Laravel uses more modern development techniques, but because CI's future is uncertain with the lack of leadership from EllisLabs. If I knew CI mattered a great deal to EllisLabs, i wouldn't even be considering Laravel as an alternative Framework for future non-CMS apps.

I do love the new site, a lot still needs to be fixed with it, but it's a great improvement. Lets hope next up is a serious look at CI3 and maybe even EE3 along side it?

I don't know how I feel about Laravel using ORM approach to Data management. It's something I'll have to play around with to get a full feel of since I am used to designing and querying my databases specific to each application. some of which are fairly unique and require serious performance optimization. Though I guess what Laravel is really trying to do is move toward using Redis, which makes sense. granted, again, something to look into and play with before making any judgement on it.

[eluser]toopay[/eluser]
By general metrics, you'll get this from me (I compare CI with Laravel 4) :

- Speed : CI faster than Laravel, alot.

- Flexibility : Laravel is modular by default, while CI is "sticky" by default (you could use less-sticky version by using @wiredesignz HMVC library, but still, you'll get duck-tape everywhere).

- Interopability : Laravel support Composer which mean it have broader compability with 3rd party code (actually, any PSR code is compatible) while CI only have its own library repository (Spark) with its own idiomatic CI style.

- Stability : CI go from 1.x to 2.x in several years, Laravel go from scratch to 3.x in several months. Taylor is code-machine that could be your "Lets update our framework team!" nightmare.

- Testability : Testing CI Application is damn-hard because its origin arcitectural/technical decision (i know this, because mostly the CI Test suite is my contribution), while Laravel get benefit from the shoulder of giant (Symfony Component). I'll be honest here, this maybe just me being cynical, but i think Laravel is no more than Symfony Component wrapper that use their own API... and Taylor Otwell call this technique as "Facade Pattern".

After knowing this characteristic, i'll let you choose one that fit with your current project. Last tip, before you choose Lara, take a look at Symfony first. Symfony is much more identical with Laravel at all metrics above, except its way better... and because i think French chick is hotter than US chick.

#Just my 2 cents

[eluser]John Murowaniecki[/eluser]
Laravel and Sublime Text marry perfectly.

However I prefer vim and CI.

[eluser]Harold Villacorte[/eluser]
[quote author="toopay" date="1361471153"]... and because i think French chick is hotter than US chick.[/quote]
Yeah but our American girls are fatter. Sometimes you have to think about quantity, not just quality.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB