Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI is outputting the code from MY_model class and then saying it can't find it

[eluser]php_princess[/eluser]
I used CodeIgniter on a remote server, for a live site, for several months. I'm now trying to get the site to run on my computer so I can use my computer as a testing server. So far I can't get it working.

When I go to the index page, I get the following output. Take note of the fatal error at the bottom.

Code:
<?

class MY_model extends CI_model {

public function __construct()
{
parent::__construct();
}

/*-------------------------------------
TRASH CAN
------------
Used whenever an admin deletes something. It takes what was deleted and puts it in a table called trash_can.
It will stay in trash_can for one week before a cron job deletes it.

$info will be an array

*/

protected function trash_can($info) //ingo is an array in the format column => value
{
if (!is_array($info)) return FALSE;

$col_string = '';
$val_string = '';

//make the strings that go in table name parenthesis and value parenthesis

$counter = 0;

foreach ($info as $column => $value)
{
  $col_string .= '`'.$column.'`';
  $val_string .= $this->db->escape($value);

$counter++;

//This puts a comma after the comma or value, unless it's the last comma/value.
  if ($counter != count($info))
  {
   $col_string .= ', ';
   $val_string .= ', ';
  }
}

//print "({$col_string}) VALUES ({$val_string})"; die;

$query = $this->db->query("INSERT INTO `trash_can` (".$col_string.") VALUES (".$val_string.")");

return ($this->db->affected_rows() > 0) ? TRUE : FALSE;
}

protected function delete($id, $params) //params is an array
{

}

}
?&gt;<br />
<b>Fatal error</b>:  Class 'MY_Model' not found in <b>C:\xampp\htdocs\spice\core\Common.php</b> on line <b>174</b><br />

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Sorry, I don't understand. Is the model code being output as well?

It's pretty common to run into compatibility issues between *nix and Windows-based servers. However, these are normally to do with case-insensitivity. Since Windows is case-insensitive, it usually means that what works on Windows, doesn't work on Linux, not the other way round. So I'm not sure if this has anything to do with case-sensitivity.

I would suggest you look into virtualisation if you can. Then you can run a virtual machine that runs the same (or similar) OS to your production server. www.vagrantup.com is a good place to start, but there can be a steep learning curve, but it's well worth it.

It might work if you change:
Code:
class MY_model extends CI_model {

to:
Code:
class MY_Model extends CI_Model {

It may not fix the issue, but adhering to convention can certainly help fix these kinds of problems.

Actually, when I load the page in the browser it shows me this:

Code:
value { if (!is_array($info)) return FALSE; $col_string = ''; $val_string = ''; //make the strings that go in table name parenthesis and value parenthesis  $counter = 0; foreach ($info as $column => $value) { $col_string .= '`'.$column.'`'; $val_string .= $this->db->escape($value); $counter++; //This puts a comma after the comma or value, unless it's the last comma/value. if ($counter != count($info)) { $col_string .= ', ';  $val_string .= ', '; } } //print "({$col_string}) VALUES ({$val_string})"; die; $query = $this->db->query("INSERT INTO `trash_can` (".$col_string.") VALUES (".$val_string.")"); return ($this->db->affected_rows() > 0) ? TRUE : FALSE;  } protected function delete($id, $params) //params is an array { } } ?&gt;
Fatal error: Class 'MY_Model' not found in C:\xampp\htdocs\spice\core\Common.php on line 174

but when I view I tell my browser to view the source, I get that code that I pasted in my first post. It starts with the code for My_Model and then shows the fatal error. OH! And it's saying MY_Model now because I changed that, like you asked me to.

And yes the remote server is Linux and yes my local computer is Windows.

Please ensure you have error reporting set to report all errors. There may be other non-fatal errors responsible, which aren't being output.

In index.php:
Code:
&lt;?php

ini_set('display_errors', '1');
error_reporting(E_ALL);

/* ... */

Are you able to include the file manually?
Code:
include APPPATH . 'core/MY_Model' . EXT

Sorry, I actually thought this was another post, and I'm trying to help with a problem you don't actually have, although enabling error reporting will most likely help.

I think that short tags aren't supported either by your version of PHP or your configuration. I think changing &lt;? to &lt;?php will sort your problem.

It's also recommended to omit the closing PHP tag to prevent output problems due to trailing whitespace. Instead, it's a good idea to put a comment at the end of the file, so you can be sure it hasn't been truncated.
Code:
// End of file MY_Model.php
// Location: ./application/core/MY_Model.php

Wow, I didn't even notice it was &lt;? and not &lt;?php

I changed it to the right one and the error went away.

Now the site is loading (kind of) and I'm going to poke at it see if I can get it to load the rest of the way.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB