Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Beginner needs help with form

[eluser]Tim Brownlaw[/eluser]
Hi there - I've only had a very quick glance at this...

So one thing that stuck out is...
Quote:The form is supposed to just add new data to a section in the database called “pets”. Instead it is putting all the form data into the URL of the website when I hit the submit button
That smells like your Form is being submitted with method="get" and not method="post".

I'd be going over the code with a fine tooth comb and commenting as much as you can as you go along... Looking up things that are unfamiliar in the users guide in the process.

You can still employ your usual debug techniques - working back from the HTML Source for the Forms etc in the browser and seeing if everything is ok. And plonking var_dumps around the place ( the ole fashioned ways still work well Smile )

Do you use an IDE of any kind? They can certainly help.

It's kind of a high expectation to leap from a non framework background and then throw an existing project into one. It's just like how you eat an elephant... one bite at a time!

Although I personally regard CI as one of the simpler Frameworks to learn on and definitely worth the effort... I Only say that because if you come from a traditional OOP background, CI does some of the more mundane stuff plus some heavy lifting while letting you go on about your business... In fact if you do OOP you've probably already come up with a similar system. But why reinvent the wheel!

I'll keep checking in and see how you are going. If you discover anything let us know.

Cheers

Messages In This Thread
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 05:12 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Beginner needs help with form - by El Forum - 07-25-2014, 08:17 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB