Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
The Future of CodeIgniter

[eluser]albertleao[/eluser]
dmyers, you are absolutely right.

I don't think that codeigniter has the most up to date features like Laravel, but it still has it's place. Many products were built on codeigniter so there will always be a place for there to be updates.

[eluser]kilishan[/eluser]
Jim - I'm thrilled to see where your guidance brings CodeIgniter to.

For a full-stack PHP framework, even today, I think the things that CodeIgniter has going for it are:

* performance
* simplicity of use/maintainability

Yes, I think there are things that could be added and refactored. I think a lot of the things that Phil's article touched are are good things, but, quite frankly are not necessary things.

Autoloading is wonderful to use, but CI has always been on the declarative end of the declarative/hidden-magic spectrum. I would love to see it PSR-4 namespaced and added to packagist for easy installation. Integrated with Composer is a must (remove that thing about the command line from the 'about' section!). It would be simple to classmap the existing CodeIgniter code. Though if you're namespacing, it's done for you there. The Loader could even be integrated into Composer for the heavy lifting, since it already generates fast classmaps when you use the optimize flag.

Basically, I think it's very possible to keep the simplicity and maintainability while updating it to more current standards. Frameworks like Laravel get so complex in the layers upon layers that they lose some of what they were originally brought about for: developer ease and enjoyment. Don't get me wrong, I've used Laravel and Symfony both and they're both very good frameworks, but they're both "enterprise-level" frameworks and what most of use these frameworks for is NOT enterprise-level stuff.

When you start going through all of those layers with coding best practices that were developed around compiled-languages, not interpreted languages, things get slow, so you have to rely on a bunch of tricks and hacks and additional layers to make them snappy again. I do think that many of these best practices are good, but in interpreted-language development, I think we have to find the middle ground that keeps performance while still being maintainable. For the most part, CI does a fair job at that, it's just gotten a little old around the middle and needs a good workout. Smile

[eluser]rufnex[/eluser]
1) Please kick or ban "no1youknowz" .. trolls are not usefull in any way .. dont feed them ;o)

2) Thx to JLParry for your first information. Im looking forward to the new CI plans and roadmap.

3) I use many Framworks but i still use CI for projects because its fast, simple, easy extandable and powerfull. (We are doing webdevelopment and not software dev .. in that case i would use C++).

So .. i believe CI has a great Future.

[eluser]sexy22[/eluser]
Just advise Ci plus some new features or rewrite like Yii 2 based on PHP 5.3 and above to enhance the performance.

Best wishes for CI.

[eluser]Rolly1971[/eluser]
well this is great news for those of use that still do, and will continue to, use codeigniter. I look forward to reading what you have planned for the future of CI.

Right now CI is still my Go To Framework. And I for one have no plans on changing that stance.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="kenjis" date="1413343018"][quote author="no1youknowz" date="1413337529"]
Oh and one more thing. Maybe go back to a much more open license. One of the reasons why people left was the debacle of the license version 3 was going to have.
[/quote]

Yes, I want popular permissive open source license like BSD/MIT.
[/quote]

I agree. Without a different license, I would never start another project with CI. Honestly, I've moved on, and doubt I would use CI again anyways, but I could be persuaded if CI dropped backward compatibility and modernized. I can hope, right?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1413524735"][quote author="kenjis" date="1413343018"][quote author="no1youknowz" date="1413337529"]
Oh and one more thing. Maybe go back to a much more open license. One of the reasons why people left was the debacle of the license version 3 was going to have.
[/quote]

Yes, I want popular permissive open source license like BSD/MIT.
[/quote]

I agree. Without a different license, I would never start another project with CI. Honestly, I've moved on, and doubt I would use CI again anyways, but I could be persuaded if CI dropped backward compatibility and modernized. I can hope, right?[/quote]

People hack Codeigniter all the time to improve features from namespaces to 5.4+ PHP Functions and optimization!

I really do think codeigntier need to go to a fully open source licence, and lets not think that they can't keep backwards compatibility they could just make flavors or versions of codeigniter to meet everyone needs and be open to a bigger audience!!!

[eluser]Gemalde[/eluser]
This is wonderful news!

We love CI and we use it for all of our company projects. I was afraid that the framework will eventually die sometime soon, because I didn't see any updates for a very long time, and we would have to either move to another framework (a complete nightmare to convert our current projects) or to maintain the framework our selfs. But now... I'm so happy! No really, this made my day!

Nick G.

[eluser]Rolly1971[/eluser]
just wondering if there is a date set for when the new CI site goes live?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Funny you should ask that ... the domain transfer has just completed, and the new address should be propagating as we speak. I will post a tweet once that seems to done!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB