Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter for large projects!

Hi, I've been using CI for awhile for small projects. When I did my reading about usage of CI a few years ago, I read that it is good for small to medium applications. I've search over the internet about using CI for large projects, but nothing really serius appears. So, my question is: Is really good idea use CI for a large project? And when I say large project I mean a project that will handle a high amout of data and intense interaction with MySQL or PostgreSQL DBs..

I use CI for a national site that meets your criteria for a "large project". Works great! Very fast. Tens of millions of page views/month. We haven't upgraded to CI3 yet as it was just released and may not be able to for some time due to the large codebase and number of changes required for the v2 -> v3 upgrade, so I'm speaking about the v2.x branch. As far as the large/complex queries, that really doesn't have to do specifically with CI but is more up to how optimized and properly indexed your database and tables are as well as the hardware you're running it on. But yes, some of our tables have tens of thousands of rows and have 6 or more joins in queries, doing complex statistical calculations, with a large amount of data. This is a multi-million dollar generating site.

Of course some of the larger, more complex queries don't use active record, but most are using active record (query builder in CI3+)

There is no problem building large sites with CodeIgniter. I have built a few sites with CodeIgniter 3 (while still in dev) that had millions of visits a month, with peaks over 2500-3000 concurrent users at peaks, and millions of rows in the database. In the end, it all also depends on how you optimize, cache and indexes your databases and more.

Good post and good replies. I often wonder these things myself while learning.

i am now making small scripts with CI . Hope Will make Larger scripts

Codeigniter it's a great framework, it not have a problem to support large projects

I can attest to CodeIgniter's support for small and large projects. We had three large projects implemented 2 years back using CI2.2.x and the trio handled several thousand of records per day with no problem.

You need to consider, that aside from the CI framework, you must have a well-designed database schema with optimized SQL queries.

Also, consider your server/host if it is equally up to meet that large project.
Share what you know,
Learn what you don't

There's no problem at all. Just go ahead and abuse it Smile Codeigniter can handle your big projects. =)
Website: marcomonteiro.net  | Blog: blog.marcomonteiro.net | Twitter: @marcogmonteiro | TILThings: tilthings.com

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB