Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Support only segment-based URLs
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes (support only segment-based URLs)
50.00%
8 50.00%
No (keep the query string based implementation)
50.00%
8 50.00%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Support only segment-based URLs

It is about removal $config['enable_query_strings'] and related options and code.

The mentioned configuration option enables URLs like: example.com/index.php?c=controller&m=function I have not seen a public project that uses this.

By default URLs are segment-based, SEO friendly: example.com/who/what/where/ Let us support only them.

Before I cast a vote, I would like to hear arguments pro vs con for eliminating the query string url ability.

My preference is the segment based url, but that is because it simply makes more sense in an MVC framework.  That being said, is there an argument to be made for using query string urls?

I'm not saying either url format is good or bad, so I don't want to be the subject of a flame war about this topic.  What makes sense?  Are there situations where query string url format is better than segment based?  If so, why do you think so?  If not, again please tell me why you hold that opinion.
CI 3.1 Kubuntu 19.04 Apache 5.x  Mysql 5.x PHP 5.x PHP 7.x
Remember: Obfuscation is a bad thing.
Clarity is desirable over Brevity every time.

I am marking some topics that may have relations to this one:
"Add URI Language Identifier to core?" - http://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-61395.html
"Magic Routing toggle" - http://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-61286.html

As far as I know there are no real draw backs against only segment-based URLs.
The advantages:
- More search engine friendly (although you can read in a lot of places this is not a valid argument anymore)
- Easier for end users to understand / more logical and meaningful
- It's prettier (Am I really saying this?)

Is there more? Is there any reason not to have segment-based URLs only?

But is the idea to have the Codeigniter framework handle this entirely, or is it okay to still work with a .htaccess file?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB