Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Redo the website design for CI4?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
62.50%
20 62.50%
no
18.75%
6 18.75%
maybe
18.75%
6 18.75%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[split] Redo website design for CI4?
Photo 
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2015, 10:19 AM by jlp.)

Hi all,

Big CI fan and glad it's finally found a home. Having saw the new design and this thread I wanted to design something that could potentially be used as the new CI - It's a work in progress but I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks

Jesse

[Image: ci-jesse-cohen-redesign.jpg]
Web Application Developer
www.jessecohen.co.uk

Oh pretty stars!

but really not being a designer myself I think it looks a little more "updated".

Of course I think the site we have now looks better than the 1st one to!

I'm not taking a jab at you JP, before Twitter Bootstrap my designs looked about as good as a horse in boots!

I definitely think we should add this to the list for CI 4. Not that the CI dev team should devote any time to it besides maybe a "yes or no" but,
if a designer and a few others wanted to take the reigns why not!?

It's great to see so many people revisiting CI and how many people "never really left".
Even if they don't like it. I think it looks good!

DMyers

What I liked about the CodeIgniter's homes is the fact that is light. The dark colors gives me a sense of unease. Usually, when I looked for a framework, the first thing I was looking at was the homepage. I don't want it too look misterios. Take a look at laravel's homepage. Is so light you want to try the framework just to see if is just as easy. Now take a look at CakePHP's homepage. It looks ooooold. Now take a look at Kohana: it looks... crowded. Now take a look at FuelPHP: it tells you to run from it.

Note: Sorry if something of what I've said hurt someone. I didn't refer to the frameworks themselves, but to what their homepages made me think.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2015, 04:21 AM by Jamper.)

(04-27-2015, 11:38 PM)Avenirer Wrote: What I liked about the CodeIgniter's homes is the fact that is light. The dark colors gives me a sense of unease. Usually, when I looked for a framework, the first thing I was looking at was the homepage. I don't want it too look misterios. Take a look at laravel's homepage. Is so light you want to try the framework just to see if is just as easy. Now take a look at CakePHP's homepage. It looks ooooold. Now take a look at Kohana: it looks... crowded. Now take a look at FuelPHP: it tells you to run from it.

Note: Sorry if something of what I've said hurt someone. I didn't refer to the frameworks themselves, but to what their homepages made me think.

Hi, I completely understand where you're coming from and I did think initially about placing more emphasis with white - it does convey professionalism and clean. What prompted the use of the dark colors was an option to provide something different that the other frameworks were not - Everyone looks the same and I believe CI needs to stand out. Plus I could not shake the idea that CI was the "dark horse" returning from the grave. Laravel has somewhat clouded the color market by taking the pink/red side of the framework spectrum, diluting the CI brand. The conception above I have given above hopefully displays something different to anyone looking for a simple easy to use framework. It's not fixed in stone and certainly welcomes any community input.

The main reason for the blue is that a flame is more powerful when blue and white, CodeIgniter is more powerful now Smile

J
Web Application Developer
www.jessecohen.co.uk

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2015, 12:07 AM by Athov.)

It's a really good design but i don't think it fits CodeIgniter like Avenirer said the bright colors are better after all the CI logo is a flame Big Grin

PS: i dont like only the footer and the black logo in the current design

(04-27-2015, 11:48 PM)Jamper Wrote: Plus I could not shake the idea that CI was the "dark horse" returning from the grave.

Maybe a sunrise image instead of stars? It can be difficult to differentiate between sunrise and sunset, but I think the idea of dawn resonates with the same ideas with fewer negative connotations.

I would put the flame on the ground and simulate a campfire. Smile
I like the stars.

Hmmm. I prefer the modern, functional, fresh feel to the current site. Sorry. I don't like unnecessary graphical content like starry skies, sunset or sunrises etc. Codeigniter is not actually selling anything.

I admit that the site currently looks like it was designed by a developer and not a designer, but I prefer functional to pretty. Current nav is great, mobile works great (apart from this forum which I understand why), tablet is lovely.

The design shown (and I mean this with respect) looks like any old $10 template and IMHO is already quite dated in it's look and feel.

However, the lack of overt design in the current site means that you will offend no one, while concentrating on the most important thing, docs and functional information.

Just an opinion,

Best wishes,

Paul.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015, 03:27 AM by PaulD.)

I thought I would add some constructive criticism as you have asked for feedback. And I am not opposed to playing with website designs and layouts as a website should always be in a process of ongoing continuous improvement.

(ps Feedback based on look of your design on a pc screen - first load with no scrolling)

Layout
Top Left quadrant:
The most important. On your design is just half of a starry sky. A waste of the most important part of the first view of a page.

Bottom right quadrant:
The second most important part. Depending on the height of your monitor but is probably an image of some random code. Again useless and a waste of the second most important part. Call to actions should be here.

Page Content:

Three 'slogan' spaces.
'A new start a new colour'
'The framework for everyone'
'A tool built for the job'.
I know these are just placeholders, but there should be one message/slogan space.

Learning resources on homepage?
Why? You assume that your visitor is here for an introductory lesson. On what basis?

Showcases?
Codeigniter is not about design - no need for this. Could be a category in the forum perhaps.

Blog?
There is not one and would only confuse where conversations should happen. Stick to the forum.

Suggestions:

Remove starry sky image placeholder completely.
Now the text block is where it should be, top left quadrant.

Replace code image
Replace code image with four button block nav dropping Blog and Showcase.

Change nav block
Bottom left: Quick links to new forum topics perhaps.
Bottom Right: Download now -> big button to download zip file, or whatever.

I hope that helps. The problem (and beauty of) design is that ask four designers and you will get four different opinions of course. (Sorry to double post.)

Paul.

(04-27-2015, 08:47 AM)Jamper Wrote: Hi all,

Big CI fan and glad it's finally found a home. Having saw the new design and this thread I wanted to design something that could potentially be used as the new CI - It's a work in progress but I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks

Jesse

[Image: ci-jesse-cohen-redesign.jpg]

Where did you get star background picture from I like it what the name of it.
There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB