Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
windows 10

(08-17-2015, 10:22 AM)iamthwee Wrote: Good points, if I'm using windows on my vm machine, I tend to disconnect the ethernet connection, so I'm testing it without internet access. It's not always possible but it is damage limitation.

Like I said, I was against using mac os as well, but the truth is, for the graphics side of things nothing beats photoshop etc, and that is something linux is unlikely to support in the immediate short term. There are other good alternatives such as affinity designer, which doesn't require a creative cloud license - but again this is available only for macs.

Also I've found the problem is cross compatibility with other designers who use creative cloud as there go to. Linux and mac now support a lot of games as well, if you check out steam, so it's closing the gap in the gaming market. Something windows has always had a firm monopoly on.

I'm usually not that paranoid about Windows, since I'm only really using it to test my own site and some other minor tasks. Besides, if my VM gets infected, it's not a big deal to destroy the image and any portions of the disk it can access, then load a new image. If I really wanted it to be disconnected from the outside world, I usually trust the VM software enough to just uncheck the box that says "Cable Connected" under the network settings.

Of course, I do very minimal amounts of design/image work. I usually prefer to do mock-ups in my test site using HTML/CSS/JS, and my employer has a graphics designer to do the real design work (or give me suggestions) and the Photoshop work.

@PaulD: The biggest thing that's given me trouble with Linux in the last ~5 years is WiFi, because the most commonly-used WiFi chips in notebooks don't have open-source drivers (and it can be painful to get the closed-source driver installed and working on a machine which normally relies on WiFi for internet access). One of the things we try to do when we purchase new Windows computers here is check whether the machine is available with Linux pre-installed in the same hardware configuration. This usually ensures that the hardware at least has Linux drivers available, even if some of it may not be open-source.

Another minor roadblock is that some of the newer BIOS (in the last 3-5 years, especially on machines shipped with Windows 8+) may need some minor configuration changes to load Linux, though the boot-loader itself may have changed to address those issues. Ubuntu has some pretty thorough documentation on this, too: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-an...windows-10

"

All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
pre.footprintpredict.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

"

I think that "OS" is a term not applicable for Windows 10. It is something that is yet to be labeled. The manufacturer is going to become de-facto an owner of my computer, this I can not accept. And I value my privacy.

I use ubuntu for coding, and windows just for playing asphalt 8 Big Grin

Xubuntu (xfce) 15.04 home and 14.04 at work. I could not go back to working on any version of Windows again!

Started using Windows 10. Edge has some promise for sure. Though frequent unknown updates by MS are irritating.
Cheers,
Ravi Kamdar
Developer Evangelist
Bugle Technologies Private Limited
My Twitter

I use Windows on all my PCs, it works great for everything, running XAMPP for production. If I need linux it's easy to setup a virtual machine via virtual box, and I put it on the other monitor and use it side by side. Also I use linux on my production servers. So I guess this combination is quite good, no need for dual booting.

I'm running WAMP on Windows 10 and the upgrade from 8.1 was smooth and painless.
But I tried to upgrade my PC at work recently and the everything disappeared, I didn't try and fix it and quickly reverted to Windows 8.1 and everything was back how I left it.

Quote:Another minor roadblock is that some of the newer BIOS (in the last 3-5 years, especially on machines shipped with Windows 8+) may need some minor configuration changes to load Linux, though the boot-loader itself may have changed to address those issues. Ubuntu has some pretty thorough documentation on this, too: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Yeah, I just recently purchased a laptop with windows 8.1 installed and immediately wanted to eradicate it and load linux. Of course you got to now make sure you use UEFI usb installer otherwise it is just pain getting any distro to work. Unfortunately unetbootin for linux just fails, or is so tedious to get working.

The only thing I found reliable was a ironically a windows software called rufus to create the UEFI usb bootable disk and then I could happily wipe windows of the laptop and install a linux flavour.

Just on a side note, mac really disappointed me with their update to el capitan. I recently did the update from yeosamite and it trashed my harddrive. Luckily I did a reformat and a time machine backup. But every update to a newer mac version has resulted in corruption so far. Heads up to anyone planning a mac update!
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

(10-07-2015, 03:07 PM)iamthwee Wrote: Just on a side note, mac really disappointed me with their update to el capitan. I recently did the update from yeosamite and it trashed my harddrive. Luckily I did a reformat and a time machine backup. But every update to a newer mac version has resulted in corruption so far. Heads up to anyone planning a mac update!

My current MacBook Pro has been through 3 updates (Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan) with no issues. However, I've heard that there were a lot of issues with Office 2016 on El Capitan (which just makes me glad I don't use Office on my Mac), and I had to temporarily disable System Integrity Protection to install the drivers for my Microsoft trackball.

I'm not sure why updates fail so miserably for me on my mac. Perhaps it is because I have an oldish harddrive that actually was flagged by apple as being faulty and they offered a free upgrade but I never got round to taking it in.

I guess the moral of the story is always do a full backup before any OS upgrade. Something I didn't do,and rightly paid the price for.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB