Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Do you like the idea of CI Community Apps ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
77.27%
34 77.27%
No!
6.82%
3 6.82%
May be!
15.91%
7 15.91%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

CI Community Startup and Addon Apps

(10-24-2015, 05:22 PM)includebeer Wrote:
(10-24-2015, 10:28 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: Of course nobody will force nobody to use any of those apps.
My idea is coming from other frameworks as Yii (which has Basic and Advanced startup apps), Symfony which has a demo blog bundle (I don't mention that there is even CMF Symfony..), Laravel which have even public Socialite Auth and are developing Laravel Sparks (hah it sounds familiar)..

I will never say that CI Staff should develop anything more than the framework. Its an Open Source Framework and we can be grateful that it exists and its alive.
But CI should have such official provided apps (or name them modules if CI 4 has modules..).
I don't believe that Developers have to build system from 0 each time. There will be always customisation of those apps, but when you have start point of something its a lot easier than if you have to make everything from zero..

It's not a question of forcing people or not, it's a question of quality. I've seen the horror of the Joomla Extension Directory (JED)... Tongue

Also, from my point of view, CI is a set of building blocks, not a finished product. This is what puts the fun back in building a web site or a web application. Create something new, and learn while you develop it. Installing and configuring a pre-made module is boring. 99% of the time, you end up wasting  your time trying to make it work or make it look like the way you want.

But that's just my personal opinion. I understand that people don't want to reinvent the wheel. It's just that all the wheels I download are either square, triangle or hexagone... Big Grin

Hi From Spain,

I would like contribute my point of view... (with my wrong english xD, sorry in advance).
I think that JED is an horror, but we are talking about framework with a very important target, improve and accelarate the process to develop  web applications. If we want improve as developers, its very important (for me) know how other programmers develop solutions, something difficult with CI, how we can improve our performance.

Your argument about reinvent the wheel its ok, but for example the helper "Captcha", Do you want remove it from CI?

We are not talking about a official repository of extensions.

Regards.

Messages In This Thread
CI Community Startup and Addon Apps - by sv3tli0 - 10-23-2015, 02:23 AM
RE: CI Community Startup and Addon Apps - by CodeIgnitedX - 10-25-2015, 03:06 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB