Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
My Initial Thoughts on CI4 - a year-end wrap up

(01-25-2016, 12:49 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 12:28 AM)V I R U S Wrote: What the reason of hiding it, since CodeIgniter is community-driven?!  Huh

Good thought... - The idea is not to show something which is not yet a working framework.
When the 1st alpha is ready (and its real working framework) we will be able to see/touch/use it and to contribute to it if you want.

But initial decisions were already made, and no one of them by community, right? So, what then is the reason of community-driven framework?

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2016, 01:07 AM by sv3tli0.)

(01-25-2016, 12:55 AM)V I R U S Wrote: But initial decisions were already made, and no one of them by community, right? So, what then is the reason of community-driven framework?

Decisions can't be made only by the community.. If you want ORM db and I don't want, somebody must get the decision should ORM be added or not. 
There were many threads ideas proposals and etc.
The CI staff team discussed it, and they accepted / rejected some of those ideas. 

When there is real Alpha (something working) the community will have the chance to request changes / or even proposal with PR inside the git repository. And this will be the community-driven framework.
If all the people request something all the time before even the alpha build,  CI 4 may never go to its Final version.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(01-25-2016, 12:28 AM)V I R U S Wrote: What the reason of hiding it, since CodeIgniter is community-driven?!  Huh

I believe there is a difference between open source and community-driven. If you look at the history of CodeIgniter, then I'm confused where you community-driven from. It was released by a company who used it for their own products. Decisions about the framework were often done with their business goals in mind, before it languished. At that point, the Reactor group was formed to spear head the direction of the framework and help it hopefully thrive. Now, there is a council that does the same thing.

Don't get me wrong - community input is very important. CI3 has had more community code contributions than any previous release. But there has to be a person or group at the helm with a vision or it becomes a nightmare mess.

To answer the specific question - which has been addressed before - while Phase 1 of then project is in the works, and the inner workings of the framework are being developed, everything is in flux. Design decisions are changing as some things cannot be effectively determined until you're in the middle of it. While key decisions are being made and implemented, the group working on it had to be kept small, or it would simply turn into an eternal argument about the best way to do things, and nothing would ever get done. Once Phase 1 is done, it will be moved to the BCIT account and will be opened up for contributions at that point. And there will still be plenty of things the community can help with at that point, if they desire.

(01-25-2016, 12:28 AM)V I R U S Wrote: But initial decisions were already made, and no one of them by community, right? So, what then is the reason of community-driven framework?

Since your account was just registered this month, you missed the community input stage, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Almost the entirety of the CodeIgniter4 category here on the forums were discussions about the future of CI4. This input went on for several months before the council read through them all, weighed the pros and cons of each, and figured out which parts fit together well with the others, which didn't, which fit the spirit of CodeIgniter, etc, and landed on a basic feature list the was going to get implemented.

So - welcome to CodeIgniter!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB