Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Any Suggestions for Website Domain Name

I'm just curious. Why do you want a pair .com + .co.uk ? The only reason I can think of is to protect your brand from domain squatters, but then you'll have to buy a lot more domain name.

PS: Domain squatters can burn in hell ! Tongue
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2016, 09:41 AM by PaulD.)

(01-09-2016, 08:29 AM)includebeer Wrote: I'm just curious. Why do you want a pair .com + .co.uk ? The only reason I can think of is to protect your brand from domain squatters, but then you'll have to buy a lot more domain name.

PS: Domain squatters can burn in hell ! Tongue

LOL - Yes they can!

Why the pair? It is a good question. Sometimes I just think that it is because I am old school, perhaps just old, and the pair was always the thing.

The reasoning is that most people will assume a .com if they remember the domain 'brand', plus apple products often have a .com shortcut button. The .co.uk is because I am based in the UK so again, alot of people will assume the .co.uk

Also, I did have a .life domain for this site previously, but the amount of people that screwed up their face in confusion at me, saying '.life?' like I had made something up, made me want a more 'acceptable' extension.

With the newer extensions, like .world or .guru I cannot help but feel people will be lost (or worse get onto competitor sites) when they put in .com or .co.uk by habit.

I really wanted a very brandable name with character, that was a bit sexy perhaps, clever and explanatory but without actually explaining. 'Codeigniter' is, for instance, a fabulous name. So is 'todoist', and 'fotolia' for example.

I quite like my new 'Big Pocket Book', but it is easily confused or mis-remembered (pocket book, big book, big pocket etc) and it is not at all 'sexy' or clever. It is boring enough that companies will not reject it outright, and it might even be used in conversation (we should put that project on Big Pocket Book), but really I would only give it 7/10.

I am happy enough with it for now but am still on the lookout for a more sexy domain. Fortunately moving domains is very easy with CI, although I have invested some time and effort with the Big Pocket Book branding now. (I mean by that, that I have a logo now).

The thing I hate about domains are the domain buyers that just buy vast amounts of domains to resell at extortionate amounts. Most of the great domains I thought of were taken, but not used. That really winds me up!

In truth though, I quite like the task of hunting down good (and available) domain names. My pet hate is when a customer comes to me with a terrible domain they are wedded to for some reason. (A poster recently on this forum was discussing his site 'platzinum', I thought that was an awful domain, for example).

Best wishes,

Paul.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok, that's a good reason. There's still some people who don't understand there's something else than .com or their country TLD. So I guess a pair of domain is a good solution.

All those other TLD are a bit of a mess. I fear it makes it even easier for spammers to trick people into clicking fake URL because now a TLD can be anything...
CodeIgniter 4 tutorials (EN/FR) - https://includebeer.com
/*** NO support in private message - Use the forum! ***/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB