Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Concept: Flickr, PhotoBucket, Picasso, etc integration

Ok here is my thought. Maybe someone has done it? Maybe not? I've been looking for all of the photo share sites and see what API's are available.
My thought: we all have our photos uploaded to different sites, whether you use Photobucket, Dropbox, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, if you have an Android your backups go to Picasso, iPhone goes to iClouds Photo Stream etc. Why upload your photos to yet another site that you want to share? Many times, users are on multiple sites like these an have the exact same photos uploaded.

Here's what I am looking to try. I have looked for these sites apis that will go to the photos. (Not all but enough to see if it may even be possible?)
1. The photos will set to shared on those sites. No private photos(if possible)
2. Set up the page to allow the member to login to the photo site with the creds.
3. Then display the (shared) folders, they select the folder they want to get the photo from, select the photo.
4. Only grabs the url link to save on my end, not import or upload the photo.
5. When they select the photo, I retrieve the link for the full sized and for the thumbnail.

The issue may be bandwidth, API max calls, etc. But for the end-user to not have the photo sitting on yet another website.

Anyone's thoughts? ideas? has it been done, do you think it's possible. pro's / con's?

Everything is possible in this world, but...

Usually people have photos on only one or maximum two separate services. If they have photos on more than two, they are too cheap to buy more space. What would be your gain on this, considering that these are the people you are addressing? Smile

Also, at least on Android, there are applications that aggregate photos from different services in only one place (your phone).

The main gain to this would be as far as a social media site, keeping the disk space to a minimum.

You would have to review the term of use for all those photo share websites to see if you are allowed to use them externally (hitlink to them).

Flickr for example does allow you to hitlink to an image, but it demands that a link is placed to the original photo page on flikcr.com for every image. So if you want to use this url as an img: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1715/24150...4a55_c.jpg you would have to place a link to https://www.flickr.com/photos/altreize2/24150085542/.

Plus they don't allow you to use more then 30 hotlinked images on a single webpage for bandwidth related reasons.

Quote:Link back to Flickr when you post your Flickr content elsewhere. Flickr makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to other web sites. Pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr. This provides a way to get more information about the content and the photographer.

It's a nice idea but I dont know how feasible it is. If your websites becomes a success you don't want to be that vulnerable that an external factor (like a decision from flickr not to support you hotlinking to them anymore) that would kill your business model...

(01-13-2016, 04:55 AM)Diederik Wrote: You would have to review the term of use for all those photo share websites to see if you are allowed to use them externally (hitlink to them).

Flickr for example does allow you to hitlink to an image, but it demands that a link is placed to the original photo page on flikcr.com for every image. So if you want to use this url as an img: https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1715/24150...4a55_c.jpg you would have to place a link to https://www.flickr.com/photos/altreize2/24150085542/.

Plus they don't allow you to use more then 30 hotlinked images on a single webpage for bandwidth related reasons.

Quote:Link back to Flickr when you post your Flickr content elsewhere. Flickr makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to other web sites. Pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr. This provides a way to get more information about the content and the photographer.

It's a nice idea but I dont know how feasible it is. If your websites becomes a success you don't want to be that vulnerable that an external factor (like a decision from flickr not to support you hotlinking to them anymore) that would kill your business model...

Yea I believe you and Avenirer are correct. It was just a thought though. I wouldn't have any problem putting link back of even  watermark  "provided by Flickr" or other on the link. But looking deeper it seems to be much more work and possiblities of security leaks. Not worth it at this point. Maybe at a lter point?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB