Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
MySql LIKE

Why wouldn't you just choose a different escape character, and what's wrong with the default backslash? Do you really allow usernames to have a backslash as a valid character?

(02-17-2016, 03:51 PM)skunkbad Wrote: Why wouldn't you just choose a different escape character, and what's wrong with the default backslash? Do you really allow usernames to have a backslash as a valid character?

Because I use CI their query builder and they use '!' by default, nothing much I can do about it.

And that won't help me either, like I said I can't controll what characters are aloud and the source I am getting all the info from accepts all characters (even foreign language characters, was a pain in the ass to be able to receive and save them correctly in the database).

(02-17-2016, 05:53 PM)glennm Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 03:51 PM)skunkbad Wrote: Why wouldn't you just choose a different escape character, and what's wrong with the default backslash? Do you really allow usernames to have a backslash as a valid character?

Because I use CI their query builder and they use '!' by default, nothing much I can do about it.

And that won't help me either, like I said I can't controll what characters are aloud and the source I am getting all the info from accepts all characters (even foreign language characters, was a pain in the ass to be able to receive and save them correctly in the database).

I know in general you and I should never touch system files, but there is a time where hacks are necessary. I've only once had to do this, and it was also for the db. They just don't make db easy to extend.

(02-17-2016, 09:00 PM)skunkbad Wrote:

I know in general you and I should never touch system files, but there is a time where hacks are necessary. I've only once had to do this, and it was also for the db. They just don't make db easy to extend.

The character is changeable without modifying system/, but I highly doubt that just changing the escape character would help.

(02-18-2016, 02:48 AM)Narf Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 09:00 PM)skunkbad Wrote:

The character is changeable without modifying system/, but I highly doubt that just changing the escape character would help.

Indeed Narf, changing the escape character won't help.

I might have figured out some kind of way so that it would still work for me, not a solution to this problem.
I will have 2 buttons:
-1 searching for usernames containing the string with LIKE
-the other will search for the exact name using WHERE Name =

This way users should always be able to find the username they are looking for.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB