Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Trying to figure out how to get related portfolios

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out how to get related portfolios depending on the category of the one they are looking at.  I have the following that works but it has the category hard coded and I cannot for the life of me see a way of doing it.

Code:
  public function get_relatedportfolios() {
      $this->db->select('*');
      $this->db->from('cms_portfolio');
      $this->db->where('category_id', 'Retail');
      $this->db->limit(5);
      $query = $this->db->get();
      return $query->result();
  }

As you can see in my where section has 'Retail' added, I am trying to figure out how I can get information from the page to get the category_id of which ever they are bringing up so I can get the others that are around.

Thanks

If you're looking at a portfolio, you might have the portfolio ID in the URL. You would query the database for that portfolio's category, and then you would have it.

If you're looking at a portfolio category, you might have the portfolio category name or ID in the URL. You would use $this->uri->segement(x) to get it.

So, the data is always there, you just might require more queries or method calls to do what you want to do.

Does this help?

Get the category ID of the portfolio they're looking at, and pass it to get_relatedportfolios().

In your controller:
PHP Code:
// assuming the current portfolio is in an array called $portfolio[] and assuming your model is called portfolio_model
$relatedportfolios $this->portfolio_model->get_relatedportfolios($portfolio['category_id']); 

In your model:
PHP Code:
public function get_relatedportfolios($category_id) {

$this->db->select('*');

$this->db->from('cms_portfolio');

$this->db->where('category_id'$category_id);

$this->db->limit(5);

$query $this->db->get();
    return 
$query->result();

Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB