Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter version 1.7.2.1

Hi everyone,

I'm new to CodeIgniter! I became a member to learn CodeIgniter and share my other dev skills with the forum. But my new job wants me to maintain a site that was build using CI 1.7.2.1.  I recently completed tutorials from youtube and read latest versions to learn basics. However I can't find documentation or videos to learn the old version, and migrate/ update to latest version.

Has anyone done this before, or has better options that will help me learn how this program was build, and learn how to edit content, add more features, pages, etc. 

I appreciate all of your help.

Best regards,

Yohan

Found one here for you

http://lang-lang.org/user_guide/index.html

Makes no sense to maintain the site in such an insecure and error full version. It has not been supported for some time and an upgrade is an essential step. Should not take too long to do. You can install a latest version locally, move all the controllers and views and libraries etc over, rename them and start debugging.

Best wishes,

Paul

Paul you are a rock star!! Thank you sooo much for even respond.

I know it doesn't make sense, that's why I need all of your thoughts to act fast before intending to get started in the right direction. I installed latest version, when you say "move all the controllers, views and libraries, etc. rename them and start debugging", you mean to copy and paste the entire program folder? see screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/j2GI9BA4X

Questions:
1. Do I replace these folders to the ones in CI 3.x fresh install?
2. When you say debugging you mean to use Netbeans or any other IDE that has debug capabilities?
3. I still have not downloaded a copy of the DB, which is hosted in hostgator.

Thanks again...

Hi,

Yes they are the files I meant, (presuming you are using libraries. You might also need to copy the hooks and models but they will definitely need some changes). It is probably best to take it a bit at a time in truth.

1. First check that the CI3 install is working. Set up a database and make sure you are connected to it etc.

2. Take the main controller from your site (welcome, or home, or whatever.)

3. Rename the file, so it is ucfirst, and the class name

4. Copy any views that are needed for it, plus any assets like css files, images etc.

Get that one page working first.

Once you have that one page working, you can start working through the site, and will have a good idea about the edits you will need to make to the other pages. Some major differences are how the sessions work etc, it all depends on the complexity of the site really. You might be lucky and renaming the filenames to UC first might be all you need to do.

The docs for upgrading CI are worth having a look at too, to see the sorts of changes you are going to be making.

Once you have a couple of the pages working you will probably find it is quite quick to work through all the others.

Good luck with it,

Paul.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2016, 10:39 AM by cartalot.)

these are seriously some of the best tutorials ever created. nothing i've seen has ever come close how to good these are.
A HUGE part of why Laravel is so popular is because the author of these tutorials moved over to creating Laravel tutorial videos.

http://code.tutsplus.com/series/codeigni...-net-17602

edit - reads thread - whoops yeah if you can move to ci 3, obviously that would be much better. i was responding to your request for ci 1.7 tutorials.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB