Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth)

(05-10-2016, 09:07 AM)christaliise Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 08:19 PM)skunkbad Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 07:09 PM)christaliise Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 10:18 AM)skunkbad Wrote: I connect to the Internet all the time from Ubuntu. You shouldn't need a program just to connect to the Internet. If you have a network card or wireless card, you just connect through them. No program necessary.

If you want to use Windows programs, then you can use Wine to install them. You can also install Virtualbox, then install Windows, then run your Windows inside Ubuntu. I do this for Photoshop and Illustrator when I need them.

Linux is just like Windows or Mac. You wouldn't expect to be able to run Mac programs on Windows, or Windows programs on Mac. Linux actually is better because of Wine, so you can install the Windows programs. In the Ubuntu Software Center, just search for Wine and install it. After it is installed, when you want to install a program, just find it's setup.exe file and right click on it. You then see an option such as "Run in Wine" or something like that.

Wine appears to be my solution, but when I search in Ubuntu Software I get "No Application Found". I'm bewildered as to how I can install Wine.

Currently I'm using a USB stick to connect to the Internet, in my old computer. I was using Windows 7, but since upgraded to Windows 10, and when I first used it, all I needed to do was plug the stick into the USB port and the Console self loaded, which also provided a shortcut on the desktop to open the Console. I need the Console to load the connection details into, each time I buy a connection. The console would only be Windows based.

It is only the Internet connection console and the text editor I need that is Windows based and I think I can adjust to everything else in Ubuntu.

I'm not on my 16.04 machine right now, but you're right, Wine doesn't come up as "Wine". It comes up as something else. If you give me a list of what comes up when you search for Wine, I'll tell you which one is the right choice.

For the USB wifi device, I would search around the internet for "Ubuntu" + the make and model of the device. You'll probably find some info on how to get it working correctly. I'm currently using this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN722...-link+wifi

It is really cheap and works well for me.

As for a text editor, have you tried Sublime Text 2? From the terminal:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-2
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sublime-text

When I enter "wine" in Ubuntu Software I get "No Application Found" but if I enter window there is "XTerm" (which appears close) among 3 others. There is no mention of Wine within XTerm. But if I click on the icon it says "standard terminal emulator for the X window system". I understand "wine" means "Wine Is Not an Emulator". I'm confused. If I click "Launch" a DOS window appears referring to "sudu_root" which is something I know nothing about, but I'm studying https://www.linux.com/blog/how-use-sudo-...troduction. I note your reference to "sudo" in referring to text editor but I don't understand.

I'm using UltraEdit, a program I bought about 15 years ago. I find it absolutely magic and there is not very much I do each day without involving UltraEdit.

On my 16.04 machine, Wine is "winetricks".

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth) - by skunkbad - 05-10-2016, 12:00 PM
RE: [split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth) - by Narf - 05-10-2016, 12:32 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB