Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth)

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2016, 11:15 PM by Diederik.)

(05-28-2016, 03:17 AM)christaliise Wrote: I'm addicted to UltraEdit, and anybody who uses it would be the same. UltraEdit does any repetition work I want, and so simply and quickly. For example I can copy a line such as a URL so simply and quickly. Or save and go to the top or bottom of the text page so simply and quickly. The text editor in Ubuntu does not appear to have a macro.
I have used UltraEdit way back in my Windows years but I dont miss any features, I dont believe UltraEdit has any specific features a decent editor like Sublime is missing. But off course I could be wrong, last time I used UE is like 10-12 year ago.

In Sublime (even works in gEdit) you can use:
Go to beginning of file: Control + Home
Go to end of file: Control + End

Sublime has many select options
Select current word: Control + D (press again to select the next instance (multi-carret) of the same word)
Select current line: Control + L
Select between brackets, selection based on indentation etc etc

Sublime has support for macros.

One of the reasons I like Sublime (and PhpStorm as an IDE) so much I because you can configure it as you desire, for example change the default shortcut keys to fit your old habits so you dont have to memorize another set of shortcut keys. And the many plugins you can use or create yourself.

Not trying to force you into something but just trying to point out that their are native solutions for Linux that probably will fit your needs and expectations. Personally I would not rely on a solution where you are dependent of Wine for any tool that has an native Linux alternative. Especially for a tool which you would use many hours a day. For example I only use Wine for a peace of windows based software to manage my hardware firewall. Frankly I will not support/buy any software that is designed for windows only.

I to use a virtual machine (on a vmware server) to be able to use Photoshop, I'm not a designer but I do need to be able to open a psd file sadly.

But I just did a quick search and it happens to be that UE has its own Linux version (http://www.ultraedit.nl/products/uex.html) so why not use that? Although it seems to be a dead since it speeks of suppoting Ubuntu 8 to 10. But perhaps you can installa the Ubuntu 10 version without any hickups.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth) - by Narf - 05-10-2016, 12:32 PM
RE: [split] Linux ... (CommunityAuth) - by Diederik - 05-28-2016, 11:13 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB