Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Tiny Celebrations

Being the primary developer on CI4 can be a long slog through rough waters at times, so I thought I'd take a moment and share a couple of tiny celebrations.

1. We are getting close to moving the repo into the official bcit-ci organization and opening it to the public as a pre-alpha release. This would be basically the end of Phase 1, if you refer back to the Proposed Roadmap. The largest item left to do is to take a final pass through documentation and make sure that it's current with the code that exists. There's a few usability tweaks I'd like to look into, but they are truly small things.

The only discrepancy from that list, I believe, is that the database layer isn't 100% done, but it's pretty close to 95%, I say. Primary missing thing is transactions and that will get developed after the move since I'm slammed with work right now and need to take a bit of time to consider the best way to implement them in the new database layer.

2. This is what inspired me to write this post, actually. Originally, I had planned on the Pre-Alpha release only having MySQL support, but Mat surprised me and dropped an almost fully functional PostgreSQL implementation in the repo late last week! This forced me to revise how we were doing our tests in Travis so that it would run tests using both MySQL and Postgres. I've spent what little time I had the rest of this week tweaking out test suite due to un-anticipated quirks in the way that Postgres handles things. But, the live database tests work perfectly as of moments ago on both platforms! This sets a very strong future for us being able to ensure the quality of the database drivers that we support, since we'll be able to run tests that actually hit real databases and not just mocking it all, and any platforms that both us and Travis supports.

So raise a glass and make a toast to tiny celebrations and the future of CodeIgniter!

Hear, hear!
Thank you to Lonnie for spearheading this Smile

Congratulations! And thank you for all your hard work, it is really appreciated.

It is so appreciated. Really appreciated. But i'm also wondering - where is BCIT in this process? They 'own' codeigniter but it appears the entire framework development is being done by two people - with a few chosen people checking in sometimes. Does BCIT even teach or use codeigniter? if yes then why after all this time are there no published tutorials, or sample projects? Again i'm very appreciative, not being critical - i'm just trying to understand what the future holds for growing codeigniter.

Thank's Lonnie and the rest of the develpment team for all your hard work, it is vey much really appreciated.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2016, 02:56 PM by ciadmin.)

(05-14-2016, 12:04 PM)cartalot Wrote: It is so appreciated. Really appreciated. But i'm also wondering - where is BCIT in this process? They 'own' codeigniter but it appears the entire framework development is being done by two people - with a few chosen people checking in sometimes. Does BCIT even teach or use codeigniter? if yes then why after all this time are there no published tutorials, or sample projects? Again i'm very appreciative, not being critical -  i'm just trying to understand what the future holds for growing codeigniter.

"BCIT" is still trying to figure out how to deal with this. This is the institute's first foray into open source, and most of the people on campus either don't "get it" or are off in their own academic silos Sad
I am pushing for greater involvement, but the institute is still at the beginning of the adoption curve.

I, on the other hand, have been using CodeIgniter in my main course for five years now. I had an extra course this past term, with a brutal workload as a result, which is why you haven't seen much of me. Now that I am on "summer break", that should change Smile

I am on my third version/rewrite of learning materials and tutorials to share with the CI community, but am not quite "happy" yet. You can check them out at https://github.com/jedi-academy, bearing in mind that they are at this point course-specific. These reflect the way that I use CI, and are not necessarily what everyone would want. My course support site for this ... COMP4711

I am making a pass through the CI4 documentation at the moment - something Lonnie alluded to in his opening post for this thread.
James Parry
Project Lead

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2016, 02:14 PM by PaulD. Edit Reason: Forgot to add the link )

I was delighted to see CI was used by the winner of the Hackathon. Only found that because was looking for CI on the BCIT website. It looks like it would be a really great place to study.

http://www.bcit.ca/cas/hackathon/

(05-14-2016, 02:10 PM)PaulD Wrote: I was delighted to see CI was used by the winner of the Hackathon. Only found that because was looking for CI on the BCIT website. It looks like it would be a really great place to study.

http://www.bcit.ca/cas/hackathon/

Those were my students, putting their learning to good use Smile
James Parry
Project Lead

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2016, 05:37 PM by John_Betong.)

Great news and really looking forward to the upgrade.

As soon as I "clear my bench" CI4 will be implemented on my site...

...watch this space Smile

(05-14-2016, 05:36 PM)John_Betong Wrote: Great news and really looking forward to the upgrade.

As soon as I "clear my bench" CI4 will be implemented on my site...

...watch this space Smile

Glad you're excited about it, but don't build live sites on CI 4 yet! It's not production ready and might include bugs and security issues.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB