Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Can you close the default database groupd

Hi everyone,

I have a question that is itching me to ask. I have search google and this forum but no answer. But none the less here goes:

Is it possible to close the default database server connection?

I'm asking this because I was developing a small application that would connect to one database server for the login credentials and then retrieve data from another database server.

In technical terms I connect to the database server which contains the user's credentials using the default database server configuration in the database.php configuration file:

Code:
$this->load->database();

then after validating the user's credentials I close the connection:

Code:
$this->db->close();

(However this does not seem to work as I will further explain in a minute.)

I then connect to a different database server using a different group name in my database.php configuration file:

Code:
$this->load->database('other_db_group');

However it seems that the original connection is still established as I used the the dbutil class to list the databases on the database server using the code:

Code:
$this->load->dbutil();

$dbs = $this->dbutil->list_databases();

foreach ($dbs as $db){
       echo $db;
}

An the list of databases shown was from the original database server I used to check the user's credentials. The error I was getting was that the SQL select that I was trying to execute was basically failing due to the table not being found. But I know it wasn't finding the table because it was not connected to the correct database server.

I read from the below stack overflow post that you have to set the pconnect variable to TRUE if you want codeigniter to close the default connection:

CodeIgniter database connections not being closed

However my pconnect is set to true. (So was the user who posted the question in the above link state as well)

I have no problems using multiple database connection in the form:

Code:
$DB1 = $this->load->database('db1',TRUE);

$DB2 = $this->load->database('db2',TRUE);

Matter of fact that is my current solution.

But for knowledge sake I want to know if you can indeed close the default connection and open another (using a different group) and used the default db object to get your data from the database?

Thanks in advance,

jerg

You are indeed closing the connection, but if you try to use it again (which you do via dbutil) the database class will re-open it.

'pconnect' has no relation to this.

(05-20-2016, 02:01 AM)Narf Wrote: You are indeed closing the connection, but if you try to use it again (which you do via dbutil) the database class will re-open it.

Thanks for the reply, so dbutil will open the default(active_group) connection even after I have executed:

Code:

Because I loaded and use the dbutil after executing the above line. From what I have read in the documentation I interpreted the above line to mean "If you specify the db_group as the first parameter it becomes the default connection hence you can use:

Code:
$this->load->dbutil();

to refer to it instead of manually specifying:

Code:
$this->myutil = $this->load->dbutil($this->other_db_group,TRUE);

Likewise it leads me to believe that if perform the connect in this manner:

Code:

you can also use, the default db object like this:

Code:
$this->db->query($sql);

and it will be querying the other_db_group database instead of the default(active_group).

I took a break from writing this post and modify the code to not call the dbutil at all so it has no chance of reconnecting to the old db_group. As you stated:

Quote:You are indeed closing the connection, but if you try to use it again (which you do via dbutil) the database class will re-open it.

so if I don't use the dbutil there should be no chance of it reconnecting.

However I still received the following error:
PHP Code:
A PHP Error was encountered

Severity
Warning

pg_query(): Query failedERRORrelation "some_table" does not exist LINE 1: ...field1 as namefield2 as balance from some_table wher... ^

Filenamepostgre/postgre_driver.php

Line Number

Backtrace
:

File: /home/user/lappstack-5.6.20-1/apps/myapp/application/models/testlogin/Some_table_model.php
Line
Function: query

File
: /home/user/lappstack-5.6.20-1/apps/myapp/application/controllers/Some_table_controller.php
Line
Function: get_balance

File
: /home/user/lappstack-5.6.20-1/apps/myapp/application/controllers/Some_table_controller.php
Line
Function: get_balance

File
: /home/user/lappstack-5.6.20-1/apps/myapp/htdocs/index.php
Line
Function: require_once 

I have replace the file names, table name, field name and directory paths with random info as the info I have is fragile.

A co-worker of mind told me in the same stack overflow link I have in my original post someone stated its an error with the database persistent in mysql and told me it might be the same with mine. I believe I am spending too much time on this issue I already have a solution to use multiple db connection. I was just trying to see if you can use just one db connection (for possible resource management) but it doesn't seem to work. I will just use multiple database connection.

Thanks for the assistance none the less

jerg

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB