Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Run a cron job on a controller method

I'm trying to run a cron job on a controller method, where the installation or application folder is above the root. How can I do this? I've not had any success so far??

This is what I've been trying
Code:
/usr/bin/php -q /home/DOMAIN/application/controllers/check.php reccuring_cron

I've tried all sorts of variations including the below
Code:
/usr/bin/php -q /home/DOMAIN/public_html/index.php check reccuring_cron

Where am i going wrong?

I know the first part is correct
Code:
/usr/bin/php -q

and I know path is correct?

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016, 06:31 AM by abhijeetgk. Edit Reason: more description added )

may be you can have a look at

https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/general/cli.html

Another hack is

Create a "cli.php" file at the root of your CodeIgniter folder:

if (isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'])) {
die('Command Line Only!');
}

set_time_limit(0);

$_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] = $argv[1];

require dirname(__FILE__) . '/index.php';

If you are on a Linux environment and want to make this script self executable, you can add this as the first line in cli.php:

#!/usr/bin/php

Run as on command line

php cli.php "controller/method/param"

Dodgy -Abhijeet

My application folder is above root though? As recommended by the security pages of CI. All documentation includes a reference to index.php, and this is irrelevant to me and means it doesnt work???

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016, 07:29 AM by frobak. Edit Reason: amended )

Ok, so I managed to get the controller/method to run via terminal using your above help, so thank you.

It worked via:

Code:
php cli.php cron/reccuring_checks

But when I try and get the script to run via a cron job, set up via cli

Code:
* * * * *  php cli.php cron/reccuring_checks

i get errors:

Code:
<h4>A PHP Error was encountered</h4>

<p>Severity: Notice</p>
<p>Message:  Undefined index: REMOTE_ADDR</p>
<p>Filename: drivers/Session_files_driver.php</p>
<p>Line Number: 130</p>

Anybody?

(05-25-2016, 06:26 AM)frobak Wrote: My application folder is above root though? As recommended by the security pages of CI. All documentation includes a reference to index.php, and this is irrelevant to me and means it doesnt work???

It's not irrelevant, you're supposed to run it through index.php and the whole thing is designed to mimic regular URIs, like this:

Code:
/path/to/php index.php /controller/method/param1/param2/etc

That "cli.php hack" is redundant ...

(05-25-2016, 06:59 AM)frobak Wrote: Ok, so I managed to get the controller/method to run via terminal using your above help, so thank you.

It worked via:

Code:
php cli.php cron/reccuring_checks

But when I try and get the script to run via a cron job, set up via cli

Code:
* * * * *  php cli.php cron/reccuring_checks

i get errors:

Code:
<h4>A PHP Error was encountered</h4>

<p>Severity: Notice</p>
<p>Message:  Undefined index: REMOTE_ADDR</p>
<p>Filename: drivers/Session_files_driver.php</p>
<p>Line Number: 130</p>

You're not supposed to use sessions under CLI.
And CodeIgniter actually has provisions to ignore them in that case, but only when it can detect that you are running it from the command line. You're probably using the wrong php binary, which is why CI can't properly detect it ...

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016, 11:32 AM by Wouter60.)

I have also tried numerous variations of the CLI command line, but to no avail. I've given up and wrote my cronjobs in old style php, which really feels as a step back.

Edited:
Tried again, with the tips in this discussion.
Controller: Cronjobs.php
Method: test()
All that the test() method should do is echo "This is a test".

Result (in the mail I get when the cronjob has been executed): the complete html-code (including css) of my welcome page, and at the end of the output I find this error:
Code:
<h1>A Database Error Occurred</h1>
        <p>Error Number: 1048</p><p>Column 'ip_address' cannot be null</p><p>INSERT INTO `ci_sessions` (`id`, `ip_address`, `timestamp`, `data`) VALUES ('xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', NULL, 1464200242, '__ci_last_regenerate|i:1464200242;')</p><p>Filename: libraries/Session/drivers/Session_database_driver.php</p><p>Line Number: 233</p>

It never occurred to me that sessions had something to do with this faulty behaviour, but CI doesn't seem te recognize that I'm running a cronjob and loads the sessions driver. How can I avoid that?
And why is it loading my complete homepage, not the cronjobs/test controller/method?
My cronjob command is: /bin/php ./mysite/index.php /cronjobs/test

What you should probably doing is not using the 'sessions' by default, instead you should have your 'web' controllers extending a MY_Controller which has the session/authentication code, and then the CLI controllers just extend the vanilla CI_Controller.

I use a lot of controllers run as CLI scripts, the syntax in my crontab looks like e.g:

/usr/bin/php /full/path/to/index.php controller method

The above all works for me in 2.X. I'm migrating my code to 3.X at the moment but haven't got to the CLIs so apologies if the above is not entirely true for 3.x.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2016, 07:30 AM by arma7x.)

(05-25-2016, 10:38 AM)Wouter60 Wrote: I have also tried numerous variations of the CLI command line, but to no avail. I've given up and wrote my cronjobs in old style php, which really feels as a step back.

Edited:
Tried again, with the tips in this discussion.
Controller: Cronjobs.php
Method: test()
All that the test() method should do is echo "This is a test".

Result (in the mail I get when the cronjob has been executed): the complete html-code (including css) of my welcome page, and at the end of the output I find this error:
Code:
<h1>A Database Error Occurred</h1>
<p>Error Number: 1048</p><p>Column 'ip_address' cannot be null</p><p>INSERT INTO `ci_sessions` (`id`, `ip_address`, `timestamp`, `data`) VALUES ('xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', NULL, 1464200242, '__ci_last_regenerate|i:1464200242;')</p><p>Filename: libraries/Session/drivers/Session_database_driver.php</p><p>Line Number: 233</p>

It never occurred to me that sessions had something to do with this faulty behaviour, but CI doesn't seem te recognize that I'm running a cronjob and loads the sessions driver. How can I avoid that?
And why is it loading my complete homepage, not the cronjobs/test controller/method?
My cronjob command is: /bin/php ./mysite/index.php /cronjobs/test
I'm using php-cli instead of php and using php v5.5(but not remember mode im currently use)? Try using common function is_cli() limit the access to cli req only, link https://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/g...tml#is_cli
Keep calm.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB