Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Getting Started with CodeIgniter 4 PreAlpha 1

I've written a short blog post with some helpful info for those wanting to get started playing with CodeIgniter.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for your hard work!

> From the terminal type: [email protected]:bcit-ci/CodeIgniter4.git which will pull down the latest version of the develop branch into a new directory called CodeIgniter4.

Do you mean "type: git clone [email protected]:bcit-ci/CodeIgniter4.git"?

Doh! Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks for pointing it out. Changing it now.

One thing I forgot to mention in that post, but that is worth knowing is that the default environment is now "production" to save any accidents when pushing to a live site. To change the environment to development, the best thing is to edit the .htaccess file (if using Apache) that came with the download. Toward the top is a line like:

Code:
# SetEnv CI_ENV development

Uncomment that line and you're good to go.

Awesome news. I have been a CI admirer for quite some time. I'm looking forward to digging in to the new 4.0 and contributing to the CI community.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 01:26 AM by Vimal.)

Hi.. I recently started my personal project in Ci 3.
I target it to work with php 7. I just want to know that is there upgrade from 3 to 4 possible.
If yes. which point i have to take care. while developing in CI3.???

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 02:08 AM by sv3tli0.)

(11-14-2016, 01:25 AM)Vimal Wrote: Hi.. I recently started my personal project in Ci 3.
I target it to work with php 7. I just want to know that is there upgrade from 3 to 4 possible.
If yes. which point i have to take care. while developing in CI3.???

1st - PHP 7.1 ? is almost but not yet in Final stage..
Do you really wan't to write something based on completely new PHP version which won't be found over any host services in next months? 
Does it worth?

2nd - CI 4 is still far away but it's already known that it will be complete rewrite of CI 3 ..
So migration will be impossible without rewriting your app.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2016, 04:12 AM by Vimal.)

(11-14-2016, 01:40 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: So migration will be impossible without rewriting your app.

Ya sure. Rewrite means I can not use existing code in any situation?
I understand I have to change the code where I created and called model.

for example
$this->load->model('user');

to
use App\Models\User; and than dependency injection.

Or I have to start from scratch?? Undecided

Edit.
I want to use CI4 but its not ready yet. And I can't wait for it.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2016, 05:13 AM by sv3tli0.)

(11-15-2016, 04:10 AM)Vimal Wrote:
(11-14-2016, 01:40 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: So migration will be impossible without rewriting your app.

Ya sure. Rewrite means I can not use existing code in any situation?

Your upgrade will equal a rewrite.. Understand it as you want.

No more direct core overwrites with MY_, no more $this->load , no more get_instance, required namespaces on all files where you are extending some code classes as controllers as models and many other small or big differences ..

I count such app "upgrade" as rewrite. It won't be just a regular upgrade..
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(06-26-2016, 08:24 PM)kilishan Wrote: One thing I forgot to mention in that post, but that is worth knowing is that the default environment is now "production" to save any accidents when pushing to a live site. To change the environment to development, the best thing is to edit the .htaccess file (if using Apache) that came with the download. Toward the top is a line like:

Code:
# SetEnv CI_ENV development

Uncomment that line and you're good to go.

How to do this in nginx?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB