Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI4 CMS

(07-26-2016, 02:37 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: In my opinion a powerful CMS built on the same premises of CI4 could turn CI a major success. Imagine if I could say to my clients to use CI4 CMS instead of WP... Wow... That would be awesome... For the first time to put together a real framework and a CMS that can actually become popular.
I disagree. If it became a popular CMS, it (the CMS), not CI, would be a major success. The framework it was written on is fairly unimportant and can change at any time.

(07-26-2016, 02:37 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: All the others seem pretty unfinished or with websites that won't ever appeal users outside from CI that's for sure. Plus all the admins seem so old.. I have to be honest I didn't try any because I feel problems are coming.
Lots of people start creating a CMS but lose interest, or realize how hard it is to satisfy the almost inexhaustible list of demands from different users, or just never offer anything of any value better or different than in already established systems. It is also very hard to build up open source contributors to do the work as well, as you will soon see when you start a project. For one person this can seem like a great idea, but the work load and demands can become overwhelming as security reports come in, or bug notifications, or platform problems, or feature requests etc.

(07-26-2016, 02:37 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: Well my idea was to stop building thousands of "weak" CMS for CI and get the community together to build the most powerful CMS that could be used by CI and non CI people. Of course if you wanted to develop plugins / modules you had to do it in CI.
But not every user of CI is using it for a CMS. That is one use for the framework but certainly not the only use by a very long way. And decisions would need to be made (and certainly not agreed upon by all) about how plugins were authorized, integrated or managed. Different people want different things and there is no one right way to do any of them.

(07-26-2016, 02:37 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: This CMS could be done by community but I think it's really important to be supported by the CI developers otherwise it will be only one more CMS and we will end up once again with 1000 poor CMS instead of a very strong one.
No, the CI developers have committed their time freely to the development of CI because it is the development of this framework that interests them, not the development of a spin off piece of software like a CMS.

(07-26-2016, 02:37 AM)Ivo Miranda Wrote: I can also contribute in trying to make this financial sustainable or at least a bit rewarding. I really think it's important to follow the path of WP and Presta for example on this. Otherwise the project will die in short/mid term for sure.
Again, this is a decision not everyone will agree with. CI itself does not even accept donations, and if you are talking about raising funds in any way you suddenly need proper financial management and authorities and rules to decide who gets what and in what proportion, or where it is spent. Just in the act of selling a t-shirt can rip a community apart when it comes to divvying up the money and deciding where it should be spent. As soon as money is involved, the nature of the beast changes.

The CI framework can be used for a commercial or open source CMS. But it is a framework, not a CMS. I would guess that most of us got into CI exactly because we were fed up with existing CMS that no matter how powerful they were, did not do what we wanted it to do, or that no CMS allowed us to do with website content what we wanted. So like a previous poster, I have libraries now that I can move from site to site, so should I need an image manager, or an admin section, or a login sytem, I can easily port what I have to the next site. CI as a framework has allowed me to do this.

Any CMS built on CI, I would have to judge like every other CMS, what does it do, how does it do it, what advantages does it confer on me or the user, can it solve the issue I have at hand? The fact it was built on CI would be of very little consequence.

However, you should build one, and everyone will take a look, and some of us might use it, and some might even begin to contribute. However it is a very long and difficult road in reality with only very few in the bubbling broil of new systems floating to the top.

Good luck and best wishes,

Paul.

Messages In This Thread
CI4 CMS - by Ivo Miranda - 07-26-2016, 02:37 AM
RE: CI4 CMS - by dmyers - 07-26-2016, 04:01 AM
RE: CI4 CMS - by ivantcholakov - 07-26-2016, 04:43 AM
RE: CI4 CMS - by HTLove - 07-26-2016, 05:58 AM
RE: CI4 CMS - by ciadmin - 07-26-2016, 08:25 AM
RE: CI4 CMS - by rtenny - 07-26-2016, 09:11 AM
RE: CI4 CMS - by PaulD - 07-26-2016, 09:41 AM
RE: CI4 CMS - by Ivo Miranda - 07-26-2016, 10:51 AM
RE: CI4 CMS - by ciadmin - 07-26-2016, 01:31 PM