Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Session Files Question

My sessions create a new file OK.

How every if there are any old session files Question do they get deleted automatic at certain time.

Because I do not want to get my session cache folder full.

Thank you.
There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

Do not worry. It will not get full. The "garbage" (old session files) will automatically be removed periodically.
How often this happens depends on the PHP.ini settings session.gc_probability and session.gc_divisor.
Read about these settings here. The default values are usually just fine.

The garbage collector is triggered when the session library is loaded.

(08-31-2016, 07:43 AM)dave friend Wrote: Do not worry. It will not get full. The "garbage" (old session files) will automatically be removed periodically.
How often this happens depends on the PHP.ini settings session.gc_probability and session.gc_divisor.
Read about these settings here. The default values are usually just fine.

The garbage collector is triggered when the session library is loaded.

What about if I use database instead does it delete old sessions from database in time like files garbage?
There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

Yes, the same garbage collector should kick in to remove old session data from the database.

But be aware if you setup a VPS on your own instead of using services from a webhosting company. Some linux distro's, like Debian for example, ship with the default settingConfusedession.gc_probability = 0. Wich mean that php will not run the garbage collection stuf. Debian's philosophy here comes from a security point of view that old sessions should be destroyed with a cronjob instead of by a php instance. Just some side info to keep in the back of your mind.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB