• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Real time? [CodeIgniter 4 Important Features]

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote:
Narf Wrote:Which is why it's an unfair comparison.

It's not unfair the thread asked if CI would implement this and the answer to that is no.

You've made no comparisons to CI.

You quite literally advertised sockets.io, while claiming that PHP sucks compared to it.

And it was not even clear that you were talking about the sockets.io framework, as you said simply "sockets".

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote:
Narf Wrote:Easier to work with by design, not the same thing as more efficient.

A non-blocking request is the same in any language.

Exactly why you cannot claim that a NodeJS-initiated connection is superior to one created by PHP.

It's networking; languages and frameworks don't change it.

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote: Node was designed this way from the ground up and you have to go out of your way to make blocking requests.

And while that is true, I don't see how it supports your claims or contradicts mine.

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote: PHP has evolved in the opposite direction and while they've made great strides it's toolkit is still inferior in that regard.

PHP hasn't evolved in the opposite direction.
PHP hasn't evolved in any way, either direction.

And I've always been angry with that, but that doesn't make its capabilities inferior.

It's APIs have just always been using blocking requests by default and that doesn't make it bad, nor good. Just easier to work with in one area and harder in another, because we're talking about default behavior, not technical limitations.

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote: How many third party PHP libraries were written to be asynchronous? What about Node?

How is that relevant?

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote: I'm not going to argue with you as this is all common knowledge.

Sure ... it's so common knowledge, that you even had to talk about some "great strides" that never happened.

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote: Most server side languages suck at this

What the hell are you talking about?

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote: and writing tests in a vacuum is not indicative of real world results.

Of course, when a fact doesn't fit the plot - just ignore it.
I realize I probably sound quite arrogant by this point, but seriously, at least I make a logical argument. You're just shouting out your claims as if written in a holy book or something.

(09-16-2016, 01:14 PM)spjonez Wrote: Can they do it? Sure, you can make any language do almost anything. Should you? The answer to that is a resounding no.

"Should I" is something that I decide for myself, not a predefined answer.
But regardless of that, this argument started with you claiming that the result with PHP will always suck, which is patently false.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Real time? [CodeIgniter 4 Important Features] - by Narf - 09-16-2016, 02:07 PM

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  

Theme © 2014 iAndrew