• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Real time? [CodeIgniter 4 Important Features]

(09-22-2016, 06:16 PM)spjonez Wrote:
Narf Wrote:Not that I care, but unless you can't open a file descriptor in JS, there's no inherent limitation in that regard.

Work with compressed files or perform any computationally expensive image manipulation. Or try to do any serious math because JS sucks at precision.

Are you claiming that it is impossible to work with compressed files or do image manipulation with JavaScript?
If so, you're full of shit.
If not, that's a non-argument.

That's not an answer.

(09-22-2016, 06:16 PM)spjonez Wrote:
mwhitney Wrote:It is not JS that makes node.js non-blocking, nor does it prevent the developer from creating applications which block execution. What makes node.js non-blocking is that it uses a cross-platform library which performs "non-blocking I/O" by utilizing a combination of event-driven programming and a thread pool. The same library can be used in PHP. The library is written in C.

That's exactly my point.

That is in no way your point.

(09-22-2016, 06:16 PM)spjonez Wrote: One technology pushes the developer to write asynchronous code and punishes you when you don't and another has no opinion. You can write subjectively equivalent PHP but that is not the norm and requires an exorbitant amount of effort compared to the other.

It requires taking your head out of your ass first, having the knowledge to do it second, and by that time it's not much of an effort left to put in.

I've personally written PHP code that uses non-blocking sockets, at a time when PHP version 5.1.x was the latest, IIRC.

To be more specific - it was a network-wide "Seen" bot for IRC, and by network wide I mean it ran as a network service, not limited to a single channel. And yes, that does imply it also being a stand-alone daemon process - another thing that you'd probably say PHP sucks at.

(09-22-2016, 06:16 PM)spjonez Wrote: I don't believe PHP is capable of pushing certain limits that Node.js is able to.

Your belief is wrong, and you're again comparing a language to a framework built for a specific purpose.
And there's more than one Node.js alternative in the PHP world, this being one of them: https://github.com/amphp/amp

(09-22-2016, 06:16 PM)spjonez Wrote: There isn't a single major player who uses a PHP backend for realtime services.

You don't know this.
And even if it was possible to prove it, it would still mean nothing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Real time? [CodeIgniter 4 Important Features] - by Narf - 09-23-2016, 07:08 AM

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  

Theme © 2014 iAndrew