Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
We [heart] CodeIgniter

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
Did a little write-up on our favorite PHP framework (and content management system!):

OnWired Development Workflow

Enjoy...

[eluser]Elliot Haughin[/eluser]
Very Nice!!

Makes me feel all warm inside Smile
I've been writing some more of my CodeIgniter book this evening, and it's a great feeling to just sit back and appreciate all that CI does for us.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
@maadmac
Nice read, However your blogger is incorrect when he says that CodeIgniter encourages proper MVC coding practice, in fact no examples of code on the CI site promote MVC, the official description is `loosely following the MVC design pattern`.

He should say that CodeIgniter provides the developer with the tools for good MVC implemetation.

This is one reason why the `Crazy Guy` at PHPLondon got so worked up, none of the examples the framework presenters used were examples of good MVC practice.

(If you have ever managed data in a controller then you have broken the MVC design pattern)

[eluser]frenzal[/eluser]
jup nice read and nice site too

[eluser]maadmac[/eluser]
[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1204986302"]
Nice read, However your blogger is incorrect when he says that CodeIgniter encourages proper MVC coding practice, in fact no examples of code on the CI site promote MVC, the official description is `loosely following the MVC design pattern`. [/quote]

Hi wiredesignz,

With all due respect, I disagree. Note, first, that I said "encourages proper MVC separation", not "requires" or "enforces" it, nor did I say that the examples on the site reflected it. It's true that you don't have to use a model at all, and you're free to include all the logic you want in your view template.

BUT it does indeed "encourage" it, and I am the best example: before CI, I'd never even heard of MVC as a design pattern, and after multiple trips to Wikipedia and Barnes & Noble, I not only understand and appreciate it but endeavor to maintain it as strictly as is reasonable. CI doesn't dictate your coding to you: coding properly still falls on your shoulders. But it's accurate to say that it encourages it (for me, at least).

Quote:He should say that CodeIgniter provides the developer with the tools for good MVC implemetation.

That's also true.

Quote:This is one reason why the `Crazy Guy` at PHPLondon got so worked up, none of the examples the framework presenters used were examples of good MVC practice.

This is a fair criticism and will be included in an upcoming article about CI pros and cons. Though, if you want to get into all the 'shoulds' for CI, that list will be as long as my arm (see Kohana). Need I even mention the session data handling / 4kb cookie limit?

Quote:(If you have ever managed data in a controller then you have broken the MVC design pattern)

No one's suggesting otherwise. But you know, sometimes I include CSS inline because it makes more sense, and no angel loses its wings whenever you manage data in a controller. But CI is set up to allow for great coding practices and the culture of it indeed expects it. The rest is up to you.

[eluser]matthewr[/eluser]
Nice article. Kinda makes me want to shift to the mac. I'm a Windows user (currently).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB