Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Office Hours - January 2017

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017, 12:35 PM by jlp.)

I am scheduling some "office hours" this coming weekend: Friday Jan 6th, 08:00 UTC (midnight my time), Saturday Jan 7th, 08:00 UTC (midnight my time) and Saturday Jan 7th, 16:00UTC (8am my time).

During a one-hour timeslot starting at the above times, I will be on the CodeIgniter IRC channel to answer questions you might have. I may be joined by one or more of the other council members. For those of you unable to "attend", the transcript will be posted here.
James Parry
Project Lead

First two office hours concluded. Not very exciting. The transscript...

Code:
(01/07/2017 12:00:08 AM) jlparry: ***************************************************************
(12:00:08 AM) jlparry: Welcome to the CodeIgniter Office Hour(s)
(12:00:08 AM) jlparry: This is Jim Parry, Project Lead
(12:00:08 AM) jlparry: We are here to answer any questions you have. Be nice!
(12:00:08 AM) jlparry: ***************************************************************
(12:08:12 AM) Paradinight: hello
(12:08:21 AM) jlparry: heya
(12:08:46 AM) Paradinight: hi jlparry
(01:07:01 AM) jlparry: ***************************************************************
(01:07:01 AM) jlparry: Thank you for having joined us for the CodeIgniter Office Hour
(01:07:01 AM) jlparry: ***************************************************************

And the final office hour in this set...

Code:
(08:00:32 AM) jlparry: ***************************************************************
(08:00:32 AM) jlparry: Welcome to the CodeIgniter Office Hour(s)
(08:00:32 AM) jlparry: This is Jim Parry, Project Lead
(08:00:32 AM) jlparry: We are here to answer any questions you have. Be nice!
(08:00:32 AM) jlparry: ***************************************************************
(08:16:04 AM) np: thanks for all your hard work on the project, Jim
(08:16:48 AM) jlparry: :)
(08:17:24 AM) jlparry: Andrey & Lonnie are the two heroes, with CI3 & CI4, respectfully
(08:17:57 AM) jlparry: respectively*
(09:02:36 AM) jlparry: ***************************************************************
(09:02:36 AM) jlparry: Thank you for having joined us for the CodeIgniter Office Hour
(09:02:36 AM) jlparry: ***************************************************************

Hmmm.

I don't think I have ever done an IRC chat? How would we join in given that I had to google it to find out what it was? (Please excuse my ignorance if it is something really obvious).

IRC is an old-school text mode chat. The "community" page on our site has a link to a browser IRC client (https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%...&uio=d4%22), and a link to an intro to IRC (https://workaround.org/getting-help-on-irc).

I use CentOS, which comes with the Pidgin IRC client built-in.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017, 05:11 PM by PaulD.)

Ah, found it. It seems to work really well. Look forward to the next office hours and will try to join in if I can.

Thank you,

Paul.

Edit: Just spent an hour chatting on some of the weird channels on freenode. IRC is really good, thank you for introducing it to me. I am sure I will be wasting many hours on it in the future. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. ChatZilla is quite good but am going to try a few others like HexChat. There are so many channels....

(01-07-2017, 03:10 PM)PaulD Wrote: Ah, found it. It seems to work really well. Look forward to the next office hours and will try to join in if I can.

Thank you,

Paul.

Edit: Just spent an hour chatting on some of the weird channels on freenode. IRC is really good, thank you for introducing it to me. I am sure I will be wasting many hours on it in the future. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. ChatZilla is quite good but am going to try a few others like HexChat. There are so many channels....

PaulD,

haha...  just be careful what channels you wander into...  some are... interesting.

Sorry for the OT.

For some reason I thought the office hours were on the 20th...  *hangs head in shame*

(01-21-2017, 11:00 AM)enlivenapp Wrote: For some reason I thought the office hours were on the 20th...  *hangs head in shame*

You can always ask questions on the forum ... the "office hours" are either (a) an opportunity to put me on the spot (publically) or (b) a carry-over from my academic background, or © both!

(01-21-2017, 11:36 AM)ciadmin Wrote:
(01-21-2017, 11:00 AM)enlivenapp Wrote: For some reason I thought the office hours were on the 20th...  *hangs head in shame*

You can always ask questions on the forum ... the "office hours" are either (a) an opportunity to put me on the spot (publically) or (b) a carry-over from my academic background, or © both!

Will someone be doing office hours again on IRC?

(01-26-2017, 07:15 AM)rfulche Wrote: Will someone be doing office hours again on IRC?

I shoot for doing this every 3-6 months. It all depends how busy we are & how much is happening Undecided
There isn't a schedule that we stick to.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB