Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
SonicWall Firewall + No Experience = PITA

Yesterday I had an old Sonicwall TZ200 firewall handed to me. I'm supposed to figure this thing out, but I've never had experience with a firewall like this, and don't know enough about networks in general, so I'm overwhelmed. I started out with some Youtube videos, and they're helping a bit, but the videos kind of assume you sort of speak the network/sonicwall lingo. For instance, the terms "zone" and "address object" are used, but they don't give you a definition of what they are.

Even worse is that I lack knowledge about networking terms like "Subnet", "Mask", "Gateway", etc.

If anyone has any links to useful crash courses in this stuff, I'd appreciate you sharing. I'm hoping to be able to master this thing in about 8 hours, if that's possible.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017, 10:35 AM by Code4fun.)

(02-04-2017, 09:42 AM)skunkbad Wrote: Yesterday I had an old Sonicwall TZ200 firewall handed to me. I'm supposed to figure this thing out, but I've never had experience with a firewall like this, and don't know enough about networks in general, so I'm overwhelmed. I started out with some Youtube videos, and they're helping a bit, but the videos kind of assume you sort of speak the network/sonicwall lingo. For instance, the terms "zone" and "address object" are used, but they don't give you a definition of what they are.

Even worse is that I lack knowledge about networking terms like "Subnet", "Mask", "Gateway", etc.

If anyone has any links to useful crash courses in this stuff, I'd appreciate you sharing. I'm hoping to be able to master this thing in about 8 hours, if that's possible.

https://support.sonicwall.com/kb/sw7486
and got this one from the FreeBSD Handbook http://www.ipprimer.com/#/

Does it support the new IPV6 protocol? If not then this firewall will be useless in the near future.

(02-04-2017, 10:22 AM)Code4fun Wrote:
(02-04-2017, 09:42 AM)skunkbad Wrote: Yesterday I had an old Sonicwall TZ200 firewall handed to me. I'm supposed to figure this thing out, but I've never had experience with a firewall like this, and don't know enough about networks in general, so I'm overwhelmed. I started out with some Youtube videos, and they're helping a bit, but the videos kind of assume you sort of speak the network/sonicwall lingo. For instance, the terms "zone" and "address object" are used, but they don't give you a definition of what they are.

https://support.sonicwall.com/kb/sw7486
and got this one from the FreeBSD Handbook http://www.ipprimer.com/#/

Does it support the new IPV6 protocol? If not then this firewall will be useless in the near future.

Thanks for the links. No, this firewall is obsolete, but the intention is that we will be getting the new upgraded one very soon. Since the administration gui seems mostly the same, I just need to learn it. Another possibility is that we'd be getting a Cisco firewall, and if that's the case I'm not sure if I'm just wasting time learning the SonicWall firewall.

I dont think you will be wasting time. You will gain some general expirience in networking. Offcourse their are differences in the 2 appliances but thats mainly in extra functionality and where they place stuff in their gui.

(02-05-2017, 03:19 AM)Diederik Wrote: I dont think you will be wasting time. You will gain some general expirience in networking. Offcourse their are differences in the 2 appliances but thats mainly in extra functionality and where they place stuff in their gui.

Although I've learned quite a bit since posting this, I still feel pretty lost. I've watched many youtube videos and read all kinds of stuff online, but have no confidence in what I've learned. What makes it difficult is that while I have the appliance and can play with it, I have no servers and real network to use with it, so it's like grasping at the wind.

Do you have experience with the SonicWall firewalls? If so, can I ask you some stupid questions?

(02-05-2017, 04:20 PM)skunkbad Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 03:19 AM)Diederik Wrote: I dont think you will be wasting time. You will gain some general expirience in networking. Offcourse their are differences in the 2 appliances but thats mainly in extra functionality and where they place stuff in their gui.

Although I've learned quite a bit since posting this, I still feel pretty lost. I've watched many youtube videos and read all kinds of stuff online, but have no confidence in what I've learned. What makes it difficult is that while I have the appliance and can play with it, I have no servers and real network to use with it, so it's like grasping at the wind.

Do you have experience with the SonicWall firewalls? If so, can I ask you some stupid questions?

With Virtualbox you can setup a testlab with networkservers and workstations. This way you can give them the subnets, ip adresses, etc...   to accomplish what you want.

(02-05-2017, 11:43 PM)Code4fun Wrote:
(02-05-2017, 04:20 PM)skunkbad Wrote:

With Virtualbox you can setup a testlab with networkservers and workstations. This way you can give them the subnets, ip adresses, etc...   to accomplish what you want.

I use Virtualbox all the time, but never heard of setting up a testlab. Any links or videos?

I've accomplished a lot in the last few hours, and have a pretty good grasp on the basics. I'm definitely ready to start playing with something like a testlab.

No experience with Sonicwall appliances in particular but have experience with numerous other devices. But perhaps I can help you out a bit by steering you in the right direction.

The first thing you would want to do is create a network map. You need to know what type of devices are in your network and what they need to do. For instance if you have a internal mailserver and 12 workstations etc. Then You would want the mailserver (port 25) to be accessible from the outside world, if you have people working from home and need access to their email then you should decide if to either forward that port (143 imap, or 110 pop3, etc) or setup a VPN so external users can connect to your internal network.

Just take a peace of paper and start making some diagram, visualizing your network will also make it easier to understand.

You can use a machine with virtualbox to sort of recreate your existing netwrok, create a VM to act as your mailserver, create some workstations etc.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 03:42 AM by Code4fun.)

Quote:I use Virtualbox all the time, but never heard of setting up a testlab. Any links or videos?

I've accomplished a lot in the last few hours, and have a pretty good grasp on the basics. I'm definitely ready to start playing with something like a testlab.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html is the one you are looking for in your 8 hour limit.  Wink

I found this one as well. https://blogging.dragon.org.uk/setup-a-t...irtualbox/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB