Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Payment Processing - Credit Cards - Any Libraries available?

I wanted to  use Codeigniter for an e-commerce site.

What are the current best solutions for adding payment processing to a Codeigniter based website.

I wanted to be able to process credit card payments with Authorize.net ideally.  Is there some other payment processor that handles credit cards that is more Codeigniter friendly?

Are there any commercial libraries that are available that can be implemented to add payment processing?

And/or is there some shopping cart library that can be added that would have this capablity?

I've create a few credit card processing libraries over the years, and the easiest processor to implement is Stripe:

https://stripe.com/docs

Beyond just creating the library, nearly all other credit card processors require that your server and application be PCI compliant, where Stripe does not due to the way transactions are handled. All you need is a security certificate.

I have just finished a shop and I always build my own. Whatever payment processor you use will have (usually) complete and thorough documentation. So however you display products, or manage your cart, in the end you usually send to your payment processor a set of fields (name, billing address, amount to pay, return fail and pass urls etc) and deal with the response. Any required encryption is usually well documented too.

Since every payment processor is different, and there are hundreds, and they all update on a regular basis, any library unless well maintained will quickly go out of date. You are just as well to do your own little library to just deal with however your payment processor works.

However, if you want a shopping cart, product management, pre-built payment processors, and back end admin there are lots of frameworks for this and some are pretty good. I have used many, used to use open cart as a goto solution, but have no real favourite. The advantage of building your own is it will behave exactly how you want it to.

I have been meaning to try http://omnipay.thephpleague.com/ for some time but have not used it yet. Looks cool though.

(03-29-2017, 02:43 PM)skunkbad Wrote: I've create a few credit card processing libraries over the years, and the easiest processor to implement is Stripe:

https://stripe.com/docs

Beyond just creating the library, nearly all other credit card processors require that your server and application be PCI compliant, where Stripe does not due to the way transactions are handled. All you need is a security certificate.

Thanks for the tip.
The stripe documentation does look like it is very clear and thorough.

I never have used stripe. Does their service offer same features as something like authorize.net, in particular allowing customers to use all the major credit cards for payment?

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2017, 03:05 PM by PaulD. Edit Reason: tiny typo )

(03-29-2017, 02:43 PM)skunkbad Wrote: Beyond just creating the library, nearly all other credit card processors require that your server and application be PCI compliant, where Stripe does not due to the way transactions are handled. All you need is a security certificate.

Most only require PCI compliance if you are taking credit card details on your own site. Hosted solutions don't need PCI compliance.

Stripe is good, just done Worldpay - what a nightmare that was. Their system is so stupidly complicated that even Sage is easier to implement. With their hosted solution you have to use a http redirect on the success page to get back to your own site. I do not recommend worldpay. Ugly, difficult to implement, documentation is massive and detailed but in the wrong places and mostly next to useless, or at the best a PITA.

(03-29-2017, 02:48 PM)PaulD Wrote: Since every payment processor is different, and there are hundreds, and they all update on a regular basis, any library unless well maintained will quickly go out of date. You are just as well to do your own little library to just deal with however your payment processor works.

However, if you want a shopping cart, product management, pre-built payment processors, and back end admin there are lots of frameworks for this and some are pretty good. I have used many, used to use open cart as a goto solution, but have no real favourite. The advantage of building your own is it will behave exactly how you want it to.

Yes, I am familiar with OpenCart. But I have been asked to create an e-commerce site that has unique buying process.
As seen on this website:
https://www.filtereasy.com/

On this site, you press "Get Started" and it is a linear step by step process, where you enter how many Air Filters you want, then set the size for each one, and you set a subscription interval for the product, and then it gets totaled together in a shopping cart,

So I thought I could re-create this with CodeIgniter which I've used on several projects, though I have never had to deal with payment processing or a checkout page.

(03-29-2017, 03:00 PM)PaulD Wrote: ... on your own site. Hosted solutions don't need PCI compliance.

Explain please.

On my end, being a retail business owner, we've changed credit card processors a few times over the years. Some, if they know you want to do credit card processing, demand they do their PCI compliance scan, and we always fail. This is just on a glorified shared hosting account. Now we're using Stripe, and yes they are a bit expensive percentage-wise, but we don't have to worry about PCI compliance scans, and it works really well. We've had zero issues.

(03-29-2017, 03:20 PM)skunkbad Wrote:  Now we're using Stripe, and yes they are a bit expensive percentage-wise, but we don't have to worry about PCI compliance scans, and it works really well. We've had zero issues.

What does Stiripe charge to process payments? I think Authorize.net and PayPal are around 3% per transaction.

Would PayPal be easier to use with Codeigniter? Does Stripe have some other advantages?

(03-29-2017, 02:48 PM)PaulD Wrote: I have been meaning to try http://omnipay.thephpleague.com/ for some time but have not used it yet. Looks cool though.

I took a look at OmniPay you mentioned. It looks very clear and easy to implement. It is also nice that once you figure it out, you can use it with different gateways like stripe or authorize.net.

Did you hear anyone using it with Codeigniter?
I guess you would have to "manually" implement it. So it would not be like using a library?

(03-29-2017, 03:29 PM)tom756 Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 03:20 PM)skunkbad Wrote:  Now we're using Stripe, and yes they are a bit expensive percentage-wise, but we don't have to worry about PCI compliance scans, and it works really well. We've had zero issues.

What does Stiripe charge to process payments? I think Authorize.net and PayPal are around 3% per transaction.

Would PayPal be easier to use with Codeigniter? Does Stripe have some other advantages?
We've had some horrible experiences with Paypal in the past. They have, at what seemed to be totally random times, told us that they were holding our money until we would send them stuff to confirm our identity. We do it, then they release the money, and then do it again a few months later. Also, just because they feel like it, they could decide that if you sell something expensive they won't give you the money until the customer contacts them and tells them they are satisfied. No other credit card processor is ever going to do something like that. They make their own rules, so I'd only use them as a last resort.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB