Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
A Simple Forum Software built on CI4

Just a quick update on this.

- I've got basic categories/forums/threads working mostly.
- The authentication system from Sprint has been ported over. It's been updated to use a User Entity class internally. The Auth system itself is being treated as a module to test out working in that style. I'm pretty sure the authorization stuff hasn't been touched too much yet and will need some more tweaking to get it working, but you can register, login, and attempt to reset your password. Well, you will be able to reset pass once I get the mail system integrated that's currently in a PR and probably broken.

Notes on the Auth system:

I removed the throttling stuff that was happening in the because it was an added complication, and I was curious to see if CI4's throttling could be used to cover most of the same features. Still haven't quite explored that area yet.

Current Project:

Am currently working on the Posts themselves, and decided to try something that should prove interesting. I was always fascinated by the way Statamic's Lodge had different post types (questions, discussions, and show-n-tell posts). IIRC, they used to be more dramatically different than they are currently. But that ability to have post types that could customize the way that post is input, is displayed, and could even provide additional functionality to the thread itself (like accepting an answer, etc) is and idea that has stuck with me over the last couple of years as I've wanted to build a forum system anyway. So, I'm giving it a shot. Should prove an interesting challenge.

Intersting Notes

Probably the most "abnormal" thing I've done with the app so far is the layout of the files. I wanted to keep related files together, but not bundle them in a module, instead of having the Entity in one directory, the Model in another, and any related classes elsewhere. To solve that I simply create a "Domains" directory, where I've started grouping files together there, like:

Code:
application/
    Domains/
        Forums/
            Forum.php
            ForumModel.php
            Thread.php
            ThreadModel.php
        Posts/
            Types/
            Post.php
            PostModel.php

It's really nothing special, and isn't really Domain-driven design or anything, but it is nice to have the flexibility to just put things wherever makes logical sense for each project or team.

I'll try to keep this thread updated as I go along whenever there's something semi-interesting to say. I hope that it's helpful to see different ways that CI4 features can be used, if nothing else.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Simple Forum Software built on CI4 - by kilishan - 07-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB