Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter bests should stay as they are vs Laravel

(09-07-2017, 01:46 PM)krystian2160 Wrote: There is no need to be a bit weird.

Just don't be closed to this or that, to new things and so on.

And for me it isn't like whale or shark.
Toyota or Ford.

It is something else.

You can love both, nothing weird here. There is passion in this, not weirdness.

Of course not. I was clearly joking.

If CI collapsed tomorrow in a terrible heap of controversy, bad practice and security flaws we would all still continue coding.

I still recall with fondness the open source project Etomite that had a community I liked very much, spent all my time working with Etomite and on Etomite and in the forums. When the lead developer got sick and gave up the only real fork was ModX, which I hated but has since gone from strength to strength. Etomite disappeared and although I moved to another CMS I was already itching to move beyond the CMS constraints. Even then there were people saying 'ModX vs Etomite, which is best' etc and that was a closely related fork. As I said before, who cares. Use what you want or is right for you or a particular circumstance.

And of course, love is not a zero sum game. You can love many things equally but differently and at the same time. As the great Billy Bragg once sang "Just because you're going forward doesn't mean I'm going backward."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4isKUzRjlI

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2017, 11:44 AM by krystian2160.)

rtenny, "Eloquent" doesn't have to mean something with class, programming. But for me it has something towards functionality.

You know, programming would be more boring without it.

Colors in IDE isn't only for readability, we all like them too, and they bring many positives.

With ;Eloquent; or ;Blade; is the same.

Plus Eloquent is great name for me.

For me, it truly describes this system. You know, Coca-Cola, what the hell? This should be named black water, or BlackH20! Not Coca-Cola.

Eloquent? What? It should be like ORM-Model, not Eloquent!.

Bad way.

This is ORM system, and author named it Eloquent. And I think this is great name. Because this system is beautiful for me, and name "Eloquent" fits.

And read it. Try to type it. "Eloquent". Look at this. This is just beautiful name for beautiful system. Working with "Eloquent" is more fun and elegant than working with "ORM-SystemLaravel" :c . Just you know.

Eloquent is good as hell name for this system I think.

Plus as I said, it means something with functionality. It fits, because this system Is Really Eloquent, but in a metaphor

There is passion in it. And this name is burning with passion too!

And it makes my programming better and funier, more elegant, and Eloquent! Wink.

If laravel is a whale and CI is a shark, with version 4 of CI this will become a megalodon and the whale will be eaten. END

@ALL,

I look forward to the day when all PHP developers will stop bashing other PHP frameworks and just appreciate the fact that PHP is awesome and flexible.

Yes, Correct!

I agreed! I using CodeIgniter from last 4 years, I have used laravel as well but it is slower than CI and development is too fast than the laravel. CodeIgniter even one of the better framework in MVC. Hope new version of CodeIgniter will rock.

Additionally, I think CodeIgniter should have some readymade plugins place, from there user will get it and directly use in the development. Instead of finding it somewhere other places and it will help improve the feasibility of CodeIgniter in a market. Would be nice if CodeIgniter includes MEAN JS frameworks anyhow then nothing required anymore and no option to choose any other framework.

Thanks

TL;DR;
This is my first post, been using CI for some years and this is my thoughts about the benefits of this framework that shares many of what the author descriptions.

I've seen a good share of Frameworks Vs Frameworks... I've been using Codeigniter for about 4 years now... tested many frameworks, but as the author said... CI is FAST and SIMPLE, whatever project you have, CI can and will adapt, as long as you know what to add.

Laravel is as the author said: "Big, fat, hungry beast" and every update they incorporate another library into their core... that's insane, I'm all about performance, simplicity, I think twice before adding a plugin/library of any kind, having a framework that have tons of things that I could use might sound as a good idea, but it will end up using very little of those things that will eat your server processing power, also will result in a very large learning curve (CI learning curve is about the framework concepts, Laravel you'll learn Laravel+ORM+Carbon+[list of plugins build on]) or if you're in a hurry, you just download another library that does the same thing.

I'm recently migrating my company products to Azure Cloud, we have projects built on:

- Pure PHP, self developed framework (5 projects)
- Codeigniter (8 projects)
- Tried to port some of our products to laravel due to it's overall complexity (failed, we are porting them to CI instead)

The key thing here is: COST, it's always about the COST, Azure will charge you for Bandwidth, Database, CPU and the list goes on, how did CodeIgniter helped us?

1 - our Self developed framework was built when php 5 came out, it's totally obsolete and incompatible with php7, to load a single routine it opens up to 130 requests and about 3s load time
2 - ported a similar product to codeigniter and now we have an average of 20 requests on the first run only and less then 1s load time.
3 - ported some wordpress websites to codeigniter, the load time was reduced by 80-95% in some cases.

Just the fact that we use CodeIgniter we are lowering our costs with server, i dare say that we have a reduction of 50-60% in web servers.

Why CodeIgniter rocks:

The framework gives the basics that your need in EVERY project, and some usefull helpers.
It does not try to code for you, it makes easy for YOU to code.
It does not enforce to it's pattern.
It gives freedom of choice.

How to make the most out of CodeIgniter?

Planning, study what you need and as the core of CodeIgniter does, load/use only what you need, and only what's needed in a particular context.

If you don't know what you need, what you will be needing and doesn't know what packages you need to do something that's not present on your framework Core, whatever it might be, then CodeIgniter is not for you.

What CI is good for:

- Websites / blogs / portfolios
- APIs
- Small/Medium projects
- Larger projects WITH planning

Additional note: CodeIgniter is simple, easy to learn, even for PHP starters, if you dig deeper into CI concepts and on pure PHP you'll be able to extend CI to any projects.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB