Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Stack Overflow (banging my head against the wall)

It is really unbelievable, and quite painful to see most of the CodeIgniter questions that are asked on Stack Overflow. Obviously nobody ever reads even one page of the user guide, and there seems to be some bad habits that are widely learned by beginners. It's doubtful that some of these people have even worked with PHP for more than a day, yet they're calling themselves "Junior Developers". I guess that's your title when you've successfully completed the Hello World of PHP.

Recent:
  • I just saw a "CodeIgniter" question where the person just wanted today's date formated "sep 12".
  • I see every day that nobody knows the difference between site_url and base_url functions.
  • I've seen as many "How do I upload this file" and "Why isn't my session working" questions as I can stand.
I like to go there and try to answer questions. It's quite satisfying to be right, and because of the fast pace of the site it is really a mental exercise. Sometimes I just wonder if this kind of stuff is altering people's perception of CodeIgniter. Like you have to be a total moron to use it.

I've seen some of you over there. What are your thoughts?

... and to anyone offended by this post, I beg of you, please go read the user guide, or at least skim it once.

I also have to agree with you on that one Brian.

That is one of the problems, no one sit's down and reads the User Guide.

I remember back in 2008 when I first started using CodeIgniter,
I sat down for the whole weekend and just read the Users Guide.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

I agree. I've answered a few questions there, most of which include the words "as per the manual".

I find the manual very easy to use, so I'm not sure what the issue is?

Also agree. Gave up answering them in the end. Fed up posting snippets of the user guide in answer to stupid questions.

I think it is a problem with stack overflow in truth. I am not sure what they can do about it. Many of the questions are clearly IT students assigned a project/question and trying to get their homework done as quickly and easily and thought or work free as possible.

I love stack overflow in a way, and use it quite often. Their attempt at becoming a job site and recreating reference material in their docs section is, IMHO, a mistake on their part. It seems to be a site that has forgotten the problem it is solving, perhaps money is the motivator here as they seek to monetise a successful site (perhaps even prior to a sell off). I really would not be surprised to see a share offering come along quite soon.

Paul.

PS I do enjoy their moderator elections though. They do them very well and is a model lots of other sites could learn from.

Another thing that bugs me is when I answer a question, and so does somebody else. My question is right, and theirs is clearly wrong, but they get the accepted answer because the person asking the question doesn't know diddley. Sorry, just had to fan the flames.

I would like to answer anything on StackOverflow but I dont have the reputation to do so and I cannot get more reputation as my reputation is to low. No idea what i did wrong or how to correct this. I think those guys sitting on a very high horse and might have lost contact with the real world.

I have not used it in a long time as most of the problems on there are things from people that think they are deveopers after watching a youtube vid on PHP. I get far better answeres on the support forums for that language.
On the package it said needs Windows 7 or better. So I installed Linux.

(09-13-2017, 08:16 AM)rtenny Wrote: I would like to answer anything on StackOverflow but I dont have the reputation to do so and I cannot get more reputation as my reputation is to low. No idea what i did wrong or how to correct this. I think those guys sitting on a very high horse and might have lost contact with the real world.

I have not used it in a long time as most of the problems on there are things from people that think they are deveopers after watching a youtube vid on PHP. I get far better answeres on the support forums for that language.

I also believe that coming here is a great option for CodeIgniter related support, but Stack Overflow is like a feeding frenzy, and one can usually count on having help and/or answers very quickly (even if they are wrong). I know for the PHP tag that many questions are answered in less than 5 minutes. That doesn't happen here very often.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's a bunch of reasons this happens and it's unlikely to stop.

More people check SO than here. You're more likely to get an immediate response. A lot of questions are unrelated to CI (like your date example) and people tag the framework for visibility.

One easy way to boost your reputation on SO is to answer your own question if you don't get a response. I've earned most of mine that way Smile

It's very obvious that many posts on SO are students looking for someone to do their homework for them. These I ignore.

There seem to be fewer and fewer legit CI questions but I do enjoy trying to help those people. I'm chalking up the fewer legit questions to all the "real" problems have already been solved and solid answers are available.

I agree with the other experienced folks here.

You start CodeIgniter by reading the user guide. It isn't that long and gives you a broad overview.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB