Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Using CodeIgniter with my MVC implementation?

[eluser]Jeffrey04[/eluser]
I am planning to use CodeIgniter with my current project but I find that there are some differences in the MVC concept implemented in CI. Would it be possible if I only use the system classes provided without implementing the MVC concept in CI-way?

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I wonder what would be left from CI if you strip out the MVC code, i think you will end up with not connected libraries.

[eluser]Glen Swinfield[/eluser]
Do you mean just us the the Libraries as standalone classes?

I have used the standalone libraries before and you can get most of them to work but you also need to include the common functions and the compat.php for older php versions.

You may still need to make some alterations to some Libs to get them working. If you are using php5 and just want a class library to use try the Zend Framework.

[quote author="Glen Swinfield" date="1205939613"]Do you mean just us the the Libraries as standalone classes?

I have used the standalone libraries before and you can get most of them to work but you also need to include the common functions and the compat.php for older php versions.

You may still need to make some alterations to some Libs to get them working. If you are using php5 and just want a class library to use try the Zend Framework.[/quote]

I am not sure whether my MVC implementation (I self-learn MVC for my college final year project last year) is correct and I am currently finding a way to re-write my current project to make it compatible with CodeIgniter. If I still can't find a way then probably I will have to use ZF.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Your MVC implementation is good and CI can certainly do what you want. But as with anything there is some compromise.

In particular I notice you split the entity from your model, another idea is that you can extend your entity from your own base model (which extends the CI model) this way all of the data attributes and methods can be in the base model and your entity business logic in your extension.

It may seem difficult at first, but CI provides many different ways to solve problems. Just keep asking in the forums, someone is bound to know a trick or two.

And Welcome to the forums Wink

[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1205945152"]Your MVC implementation is good and CI can certainly do what you want. But as with anything there is some compromise.

In particular I notice you split the entity from your model, another idea is that you can extend your entity from your own base model (which extends the CI model) this way all of the data attributes and methods can be in the base model and your entity business logic in your extension.

It may seem difficult at first, but CI provides many different ways to solve problems. Just keep asking in the forums, someone is bound to know a trick or two.

And Welcome to the forums Wink[/quote]

thanks for the suggestion. I will post my progress here once I find a solution

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB