Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Old chestnuts

I completely understand how hard it is to provide timeframes, but I have to make a decision and some advice would help.

I'm completely new to CodeIgniter, but have come to the realisation it would be a great framework to use for a project on which I have just started. When first looking into using CI I became aware that v3 is current, but that v4 is in development and it won't be a simple upgrade path. Hence, I would prefer to start out with CI4. But is it ready?

I've read many topics that give very little idea of how it is now actually progressing (or not), but every post that states it is not ready are from almost 2 years ago and surely things must have moved on since then?

I'm not complaining about any of this, nor trying to push anyone to hurry up. I'm just trying to get my head around what is and will be possible and some idea of when.

So, here I am at end of Feb 2018 and CI4 is not released, but is it usable? I would like to think my project will be up and running before the end of 2018. Is it feasible that I could start off with CI4? Or is it still so far off I should stick with CI3 and worry about updating to v4 at some time in the future?

Some rough idea of CI4's development timescale would be extremely helpful.

Yes, things have moved on and it's usable. People are using it in the wild already. However, it's in an alpha state, things might be buggy, and things might change. While I can't officially recommend using it due to it's pre-release state, if you choose to do so, just realize that you're likely to need to help fix bugs in the framework as you're developing your own site.

Personally - being new to CI in general, stick with 3. It's a great framework that's stable and has been used to power many, many sites just fine.

(02-22-2018, 07:33 AM)kilishan Wrote: Yes, things have moved on and it's usable. People are using it in the wild already. However, it's in an alpha state, things might be buggy, and things might change. While I can't officially recommend using it due to it's pre-release state, if you choose to do so, just realize that you're likely to need to help fix bugs in the framework as you're developing your own site.

Personally - being new to CI in general, stick with 3. It's a great framework that's stable and has been used to power many, many sites just fine.

I'm dying to see the upgrade path from CI 3 Smile. Looking forward to seeing my facial expression when I see what has to be done haha.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(02-28-2018, 10:51 PM)albertleao Wrote: I'm dying to see the upgrade path from CI 3 Smile. Looking forward to seeing my facial expression when I see what has to be done haha.

Ha! Fair point. The upgrade path will not be simple. v4 is a breaking change with some different design philosophies so there is that.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB