Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Size of a large database for backup

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2018, 06:09 AM by richb201.)

I have gotten my app up and running at KnownHost and everything seems to be working. What I'd like to do is back up my database and store it off-site once a night. The reason is that my app holds a lot of accounting data for users who might need access to it for 3 years or more. If I lose it, I am sunk. So I am thinking about using 

$this->dbutil->backup(‘db_backup_filename’);

And then copying the file with cron to a backup site. But I see the warning below and have no idea of what a large database is.  I figure 5 G should be about my max size. Is that too large for this plan? 

Note
Due to the limited execution time and memory available to PHP, backing up very large databases may not be possible. If your database is very large you might need to backup directly from your SQL server via the command line, or have your server admin do it for you if you do not have root privileges.
proof that an old dog can learn new tricks

Yes 5G is way too large. You’re probably going to want a remote DB sync of some sort, not a backup like you are thinking.

Thanks Skunk. I need to think about another plan then.

My hosting provider ( WebHosting Buzz ) backs up my whole site and database every night.

Check with your hosting provider and see what they are doing for you.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Also ask your hosting provider for a regular copy of the backup. That way you have at least two copies, theirs and yours.
CI 3.1 Kubuntu 19.04 Apache 5.x  Mysql 5.x PHP 5.x PHP 7.x
Remember: Obfuscation is a bad thing.
Clarity is desirable over Brevity every time.

You might take a look at SQLyog. It has a sync feature which you could use with a remote connection to your DB. Problem solved, and you're not downloading 5+ GB every day. I'm not sure if this sync can be automated, but it can't be that hard to figure out.

(05-13-2018, 04:00 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: My hosting provider ( WebHosting Buzz ) backs up my whole site and database every night.

Check with your hosting provider and see what they are doing for you.

Yes Insite. They back up the entire server nightly at Knownhost.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB