Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Migration from Wordpress to CodeIgniter

(08-09-2018, 01:56 AM)sage12 Wrote: Hello everyone,

..snip..

So I come here to ask a few questions before migrating:

1. Is CodeIgniter a really strong platform regarding security?
2. Do I have to update any themes, or plugins or whatever every now and then like I do in Wordpress ?
3. Is there a plugin or any way to migrate the existing websites to CodeIgniter without paying a fortune or getting a master degree in computing?
4. Can this migration be done in a SEO friendly way without loosing my current google rankings?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and patience.

1. CodeIgniter has some great security features out of the bos. The security of your site is as good as that and what you add to it with your own code. Security is not a set and forget thing. There's an arms race out there. What was standard practice a few years ago doesn't cut it these days.

2. All code should be checked over. I look at how I code code now compared to a couple years ago and there are changes. I've come back to refactor and maintain projects I've done in CI.

3. There's no easy way to migrate. It involves rolling up your sleeves and getting down and dirty with PHP & MySQL.

4. I moved my site from Drupal to a bespoke CI application a couple years ago. I kept the the same urls so I didn't have issues with writing a whole bunch of 301 redirects. Moving to CI sped up my site because I reduced the number of stylesheets & js calls. The database calls were cut by a factor of 20. The memory footprint was cut by a factor of 10. 

There are a lot of advantages to moving to CI but it also involves quite a bit of work. I haven't abandoned WordPress or Drupal. I still use them for projects. CI is one more tool in the armory. There is no right or wrong answer. What I use depends on the requirements of the project.

Whatever you use, remember to factor in maintenance and security.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Migration from Wordpress to CodeIgniter - by llebkered - 08-27-2018, 10:01 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB