Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Have you had any clients ask you about React, Angular, or Vue?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
11.11%
1 11.11%
No
88.89%
8 88.89%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is React/Angular/Vue the new Rails?

Just my opinion...

As far as any JavaScript is concerned then AmpProject.org is the way to go.

1. has been around for a couple of years
2. has a relatively small CDN JavaScript file requirement
3. free CDN cache system
4. ever increasing number of plugins
5. mobile friendly
6. Google preferential mobile searches

Haven't worked with React/Angular/Vue per say, as we're one product company and at the moment it's "monolith" web app, and has been for last 7 years, however...

Don't all these front end frameworks still need something to run backend API for it? I suppose you can write it in NodeJS, but same time, you could do it with PHP or any PHP framework.

CodeIgniter isn't specifically used, and it's a bit disheartening that we struggle to find someone come and work with us just because allegedly 7 out of 10 PHP developers we'll find only want to work with Laravel.

I still feel the main advantage for CodeIgniter is that it isn't opinionated and bloated. See how edgy Laravel guys get if someone mentions "enterprise level app" and answer with "oh how do you even define 'enterprise level'". Sure, you have to write your own logic, but it's your own solution for your own very specific problem - if that makes sense?

If CI manages to hit higher positions in this table - http://www.phpbenchmarks.com/en/comparat...works.html - it would be good PR point to throw out there.

WordPress... looks like they have their own issues right now with the whole Gutenberg change.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018, 09:11 AM by skunkbad.)

(08-23-2018, 02:15 AM)Pertti Wrote: ...

CodeIgniter isn't specifically used, and it's a bit disheartening that we struggle to find someone come and work with us just because allegedly 7 out of 10 PHP developers we'll find only want to work with Laravel.

WordPress... looks like they have their own issues right now with the whole Gutenberg change.

Not being flexible enough to use another framework just means those 7 out of 10 devs lack true experience. The ability to use Laravel is important if you're a dev, but it's a shame if it's the only tool in your toolbox. I had 3 years of PHP experience before I even started using frameworks. I think a lot of "Junior Developers" go straight to a framework and think they know everything they need. Nevermind having actual knowledge of PHP.

What WordPress is doing really sucks. I keep hoping maybe someday they wake up and understand they made a huge mistake and abandon Gutenberg. Gutenberg seems like a fiasco on the horizon. Last time I looked Gutenberg had over 900 issues on github ... but somehow we are supposed to start using this crap. Doesn't make sense.

One angle on this - if you are making a compelling App with Vue - to do anything really interesting you will be talking to an API (using Axios).
Those back-end database tasks - can be done very efficiently with Codeigniter. This is where CI's low footprint, fast setup, and blazing fast performance really are a huge advantage to getting something up and running fast.
And then if you are hosting on a PHP server - no build tools, no cli, no webpack needed. You can develop a fully working Vue app much more quickly.
Of course you can tell your clients - this is a Vue powered App hurrah! Which is true - Vue runs in the browser - it can be hosted on anything.
And then even if the main website framework is not PHP or Codeigniter - the Vue powered improvements/new features that will be inserted into the existing framework - those API endpoints can be served by Codeigniter. I know this is happening from other developers i interact with. They are not going to publicly say they are using CI - they talk about the *hot* tech like Vue - but they are still using CI and other PHP frameworks for the 'shell' that hosts the Vue app, or just the API, etc.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB