Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter 4

Has anyone downloaded and started testing codeigniter 4.0? If so what are your first impressions. Thanks to the developers for this, I'm in two minds as to test this, I was actually thinking about moving everything to nodejs if I'm being honest.

So what do you think?
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

I've been using it for two projects. Because I'm using an Informix database I have not used models, just controllers, views, libraries, sessions, validation, and redirects. Everything works fine. One of the projects is fairly large - A dozen controllers and over thirty views.
Simpler is always better

(09-08-2018, 07:33 AM)donpwinston Wrote: I've been using it for two projects. Because I'm using an Informix database I have not used models, just controllers, views, libraries, sessions, validation, and redirects. Everything works fine. One of the projects is fairly large - A dozen controllers and over thirty views.

That's great to hear, did you find it relatively straight forward to get into? And did you notice any benefits, or any cons?

(09-08-2018, 01:02 PM)ignitedcms Wrote:
(09-08-2018, 07:33 AM)donpwinston Wrote: I've been using it for two projects. Because I'm using an Informix database I have not used models, just controllers, views, libraries, sessions, validation, and redirects. Everything works fine. One of the projects is fairly large - A dozen controllers and over thirty views.

That's great to hear, did you find it relatively straight forward to get into? And did you notice any benefits, or any cons?

It was easy to get started. It's just as easy as CI3. The only big difference is the use of namespaces. No more dorky $this->load statements. The only cons is that keeping up with changes since there is still work being done. Many changes are not limited to the system directory. It makes it difficult to update my project.
Simpler is always better

Yes it can take a bit of getting used to switching to namespaces especially when you're so used to codeigniter syntax. Personally, I still don't use namespaces, happy enough with the old syntax I guess. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable updating my project to CI4 just yet even though it seems stable enough.

I would also be irked at not being able to use the model classes CI provide, although I suppose you must be using PHP to connect to your informix database.

http://php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-informi...ection.php

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB