Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[Done] Proposed Repositories Organization

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2018, 06:37 PM by jlp.)

One of the things we have been looking at is the structure of our repositories, to facilitate ongoing development, and to make it easier to install and use CodeIgniter4. The plan is to "promote" CodeIgniter4 to its own organization, i.e. github.com/codeigniter4/... instead of github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter4 etc, and to add some automatically built repos to make your life easier!

This sets the stage for the following repository transfers:

- bcit-ci/CodeIgniter4 moves to codeigniter4/CodeIgniter4 ... the repo transfer will be remapped automatically; this is where development continues to take place
- bcit-ci/CodeIgniter4-translations moves to codeigniter4/translations ... setting the stage for easier composer installs
- bcit-ci/CodeIgniter4-Standard moves to codeigniter4/coding-standards ... clarifying the intent of the repo

New repos, built by our release build script:

- codeigniter4/framework ... the production "build", with the user guide generated & in the docs folder; without the user guide source and the framework unit testing; this would be read-only, with changes to the main repo;
- codeigniter4/userguide ... release-specific versions of the user guide, which would then be accessible as codeigniter4.github.io/userguide; the "in-progress" version of the user guide would continue to be available at codeigniter4.github.io/CodeIgniter4; this would be read-only, with changes to the main repo
- codeigniter4/appstarter ... the app project starter; essentially starting application and public folders, with a composer dependency for codeigniter4/framework, and with all the paths properly mapped. The application & public folders inside nested framework folders would be informative only.

Contributors to the framework would continue to fork codeigniter4/codeigniter4, and submit GPG-signed PRs for contributions (in feature branches).

Developers would have several choices:
- download codeigniter4/framework ... zero-config, ready-to-roll; closest to the existing CI strategy; their responsibility to integrate new CI4 releases
- download codeigniter4/appstarter ... tailor the application & public folders to suit your purposes; composer update when there are new CI4 releases
- composer create-project from codeigniter4/appstarter ... automated version of the immediately above step

We plan to beef up the installation writeups in the user guide, elaborating on this, as well as describing how to incorporate translations or third party addins.

What do you think?
@natanfelles @titounnes @sv3tli0
James Parry
Project Lead

Sounds good to me Jim.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

I think this change will make our lives easier.

Would it make more sense to drop version number from GitHub organisation? Assuming at some point we will have CI5, etc?

Unless person owning https://github.com/codeigniter doesn't want to co-operate?

@jlp You mean codeigniter/framework or codeigniter4/framework?? which the later is better.

@Pertti I like "codeigniter4" as an organization name, for identity and branding.
CodeIgniter5 would be some years down the road (5+).
FWIW, a quick search on github revealed over two dozen "organization names" with the word "codeigniter" embedded, not ust "codeigniter" or "codeigniter3".

@scalla "codeigniter4" is intentional

OK @ciadmin I was looking at it from the aspect of the version, an if a new version arise, would the name then be changed or it remains static since 4 began the birth of something new for codeigniter.

@scalla: no worries. I have created the CodeIgniter5 organization, just in case, for future purposes Smile
CI5, should it arise, is likely to be as different from CI4 as CI4 is from CI3.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2018, 03:37 PM by scalla.)

@ciadmin worries laid to rest

(10-29-2018, 10:55 AM)ciadmin Wrote: @Pertti I like "codeigniter4" as an organization name, for identity and branding.
CodeIgniter5 would be some years down the road (5+).
FWIW, a quick search on github revealed over two dozen "organization names" with the word "codeigniter" embedded, not ust "codeigniter" or "codeigniter3".

I guess the thinking is if it gets to 5, it'll be completely new thing and not compatible?

That's fair. Just need to pre-register couple of versions before someone else gets their hands on it Wink

I assume there's not going to be that many "side projects" to CI4, compared to how lets say Laravel does it, with tons of extension projects available.

Either way, looking quite forward to 4 Cool

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB