Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 4.0.0-beta.1 Released

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 08:43 AM by ciadmin.)

(03-02-2019, 07:29 AM)fathisiddiqi19 Wrote: When is release ci 4?

We haven't announced a stable release date. If there are a couple of beta cycles, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to hope for April, but that is not guaranteed.

Great Work CI4 Dev Team!!! Thank you!

Where is the first place we should look for write-ups on guidance in converting 3.x Libraries into 4.x Libraries?

(Using CodeIgniter since 1.x)

(03-02-2019, 12:26 PM)jasonzig Wrote: Great Work CI4 Dev Team!!! Thank you!

Where is the first place we should look for write-ups on guidance in converting 3.x Libraries into 4.x Libraries?

https://codeigniter4.github.io/CodeIgnit...e_4xx.html

I need to highlight that in the release announcement!

(03-02-2019, 01:48 PM)ciadmin Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 12:26 PM)jasonzig Wrote: Great Work CI4 Dev Team!!! Thank you!

https://codeigniter4.github.io/CodeIgnit...e_4xx.html

I need to highlight that in the release announcement!

Thanks so much for your reply... the information in that link is certainly very helpful!

That said, we're looking at a VERY different upgrade process than typical CodeIgniter releases require... much greater than that required for converting code from 1.8 to 2.0, or from 2.x to 3.x.

Also, CodeIgniter users, and PHP Devs in general, fall into different groups:
1) Young developers, who have learned to code since Autoloading became the "norm" - they're going to adopt CI4 quickly and easily.
2) Seasoned developers (like myself), who learned PHP long before, and have embraced CodeIgniter from its 1.x iterations, but find CI4's modern PHP implementation simultaneously exciting and daunting.

I was wondering if something along the lines of this article might be appropriate? (It would massively help me, for instance!)
CodeIgniter 4, A Complete New Ballgame.

Johan van de Merwe was so kind to publish that for the rest of us WAY BACK in 2016, and I think the CodeIgniter community would benefit tremendously from the an updated version of his "lets-start-at-the-beginning" article that combines good narrative writing with actual examples of how things are different from CI3.

For instance:

The "Upgrading from 3.x to 4.x" says, "Namespaces: - CI4 is built for PHP7.2+, and everything in the framework is namespaced, except for the helpers." - Group #2 of PHP devs might be thinking, "What? How would that actually look different... in my Library code? or in my base controller? How do I translate the old ways to the new?"

"CodeIgniter 4, A Complete New Ballgame" says, "Everything is now relating to namespaces. No more $this->load->model(‘something’) but instead you have to get familiar with the 'use' and back slashed references of namespaces." - Group #2 of PHP devs now are thinking, "Wow, so loading models and everything else that uses $this->load->xxx syntax is now replaced by use statements! Hey that example is interesting!"

Thanks for listening, and for all your hard work on CodeIgniter!

(Using CodeIgniter since 1.x)

Quote:I was wondering if something along the lines of this article might be appropriate? (It would massively help me, for instance!)
CodeIgniter 4, A Complete New Ballgame.

Good article Smile
It needs refreshing for the way CI4 has actually turned out, but would make a good start.

If you use the appstarter package, or "require" the framework package, rather than the "CI3" manual installation, then release updating will become embarassingly simple. Yes, there us the onetime pain of converting from X to 4.0, but then updates become "composer update", and then check those "app" changes highlighted in the release notes.

Namespaces will take getting used to, agreed, but they solve potential naming collisions. Composer installation of packages will eliminate most of the hiccups with "HVMC" in CI3, as long as appropriate namespaces are used in such packages.

Maybe we need to encourage CI4 tutorials to help the diverse developer groups, and complement Lonnie's original blog posts!

Good job, its look fine.
I am testing now
Thanks
No SEO spam, per forum policy

Excellent, I appreciate of all team members.
How many requests per second CI4?
Is this faster or CI3?

Thanks

Can't wait...
It's so awesome!!

Great , Keep it up , thank you

Another great release! Thank you CI Dev Team. Will keep testing :-)
Share what you know,
Learn what you don't

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB