Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Queries on Uploading code to Website

I have developed code using CodeIgniter, XAMPP, PHP, HTML, CSS, AJAX, Javascript on a Windows 7 desktop machine. Now, I want to upload to a website. I have below queries, can any one provide information on the same?
1. What changes should I make to the code?
2. Can I buy Linux based Web hosting? In that case what all changes in the code and setup are required? Presently, my development machine is Windows 7 only. Will I need to setup a Linux VM for this purpose and do some specific actions on it?
3. The website is going to be accessed from a windows machine as well as Android TABS - here any specific changes to be made other than updating every view file with - <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"> (I checked on my windows machine, when browser size is reduced the content gets adjusted to some extent).

Kindly request to suggest on above & also ANY OTHER points which are important.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 07:08 AM by php_rocs.)

@Sovani Shreeniwas,

You have asked a loaded question. In most cases you should be able to develop the code on Windows and easily copy it to a Unix/Linux environment with very minor (if any) changes. I personally, have had no problem with this situation.

So, what am I saying...

I'm saying, you should be able to copy the code you developed on the Windows environment directly into a Unix/Linux environment. You can simply use the CI installation instructions ( https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/insta...structions ). Then copy your code which should be in the Model, View and Controllers folders (and any other folders that you created) to the new location. Verify your configuration settings (database settings) and you should be good to go.

(03-19-2019, 08:20 PM)Sovani Shreeniwas Wrote: I have developed code using CodeIgniter, XAMPP, PHP, HTML, CSS, AJAX, Javascript on a Windows 7 desktop machine. Now, I want to upload to a website. I have below queries, can any one provide information on the same?
2. Can I buy Linux based Web hosting? In that case what all changes in the code and setup are required? Presently, my development machine is Windows 7 only. Will I need to setup a Linux VM for this purpose and do some specific actions on it?
3. The website is going to be accessed from a windows machine as well as Android TABS - here any specific changes to be made other than updating every view file with - <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"> (I checked on my windows machine, when browser size is reduced the content gets adjusted to some extent).

Linux web hosting is easy to find. Make sure you get the proper version of PHP and that the database will be able to handle existing data.

I don't see any reason you need to set up a VM.

The main change to the CI code will take place in the config files. In particular $config['base_url'] needs to be set to the live URL. There will likely be other changes in /config/config.php but they should be very apparent to you. If not, we're here to help.

The database setup in ../application/config/database.php will need to be adjusted to work with the site's database.

There are a couple of items in index.php that might need adjusting. Those will typically apply only when you've used a "non-standard" file structure. In this case, "non-standard" means different from the way CodeIgniter is distributed.

It's not hard. Really.  Cool

(03-20-2019, 07:07 AM)php_rocs Wrote: @Sovani Shreeniwas,

You have asked a loaded question.  In most cases you should be able to develop the code on Windows and easily copy it to a Unix/Linux environment with very minor (if any) changes.  I personally, have had no problem with this situation.

So, what am I saying...

I'm saying, you should be able to copy the code you developed on the Windows environment directly into a Unix/Linux environment.  You can simply use the CI installation instructions ( https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/insta...structions ).  Then copy your code which should be in the Model, View and Controllers folders (and any other folders that you created) to the new location.  Verify your configuration settings (database settings) and you should be good to go.
Thanks. Very useful inputs. Seems I will be through.

(03-20-2019, 10:29 AM)dave friend Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 08:20 PM)Sovani Shreeniwas Wrote: I have developed code using CodeIgniter, XAMPP, PHP, HTML, CSS, AJAX, Javascript on a Windows 7 desktop machine. Now, I want to upload to a website. I have below queries, can any one provide information on the same?

Linux web hosting is easy to find. Make sure you get the proper version of PHP and that the database will be able to handle existing data.

I don't see any reason you need to set up a VM.

The main change to the CI code will take place in the config files. In particular $config['base_url'] needs to be set to the live URL. There will likely be other changes in /config/config.php but they should be very apparent to you. If not, we're here to help.

The database setup in ../application/config/database.php will need to be adjusted to work with the site's database.

There are a couple of items in index.php that might need adjusting. Those will typically apply only when you've used a "non-standard" file structure. In this case, "non-standard" means different from the way CodeIgniter is distributed.

It's not hard. Really.  Cool
Thanks. Very useful inputs.

@Sovani Shreeniwas

If you want someone to answer your message then you need to turn on Private Messaging
in you Profile.

Or we can not message you back.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(03-21-2019, 08:41 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: @Sovani Shreeniwas

If you want someone to answer your message then you need to turn on Private Messaging
in you Profile.

Or we can not message you back.

Could not know what exactly I need to do. I checked my profile & there is no such option. It will be helpful if you can provide more details.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB