• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do when you have a programming

What do you do when you have a programming block or lack of inspiration or become side tracked by wasteful internet browsing?

Usually I start a new project, as I lack inspiration for the thing I have been working on for X period of time. Been offline from this forum for like 2 months now, but now I'm back at it.

Walk away and come back later.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

@luanvan24,

I agree with InsiteFX. I usually take a break get up stretch and just remove myself from the computer. Depending on the situation sometimes I leave it until the next day or I focus on something else (none computer related).

I browse this forum for a while.

(06-16-2019, 10:10 PM)luanvan24 Wrote: What do you do when you have a programming block or lack of inspiration...

I try to return to this problem NEXT DAY.

Very often a solution comes in sleep, so next day you should just sit down and implement it.
remote software developer jobs aggregated in one place
*No SEO spam, per forum policy*

(06-16-2019, 10:10 PM)luanvan24 Wrote: What do you do when you have a programming block or lack of inspiration or become side tracked by wasteful internet browsing?

Being side tracked is a sign of boredom. A programming block might be a number of things.

For boredom, I try to remember what I am doing the task for. Write a plan and at least feel a sense of achievement as you get through the plan. You are not going to get it all done tonight, but perhaps you can tick off tasks four and five for instance. That gets you nearer whatever your goal is.

For boredom even within a well defined plan, give yourself rewards. If I get task seven completed, I will {{insert treat here}} for myself.

Set aside time for useless internet browsing. The internet is almost fractal in its hidden gems. Give yourself an hour or two every day to browse idly, look on it as either a break, or more like mining for gold. It is amazing what you find sometimes.

A programming block is different. Either you have several approaches to a problem, and each is a significant amount of work to test, and you have no idea which is best, or you have no idea how to achieve what you need. If you have no idea how to approach a problem, take a break, google it, read about it, find out how others have done it, ask your friends and colleagues, post on forums, take your time and learn. If you have several suggested routes, then the same applies, take a break, google it, read about it, find out how others have done it, ask your friends and colleagues, post on forums, take your time and learn.

Idly browsing the internet and seeking a solution are two separate things. Do one or the other. Not both.

Good luck,

Paul

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon