Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Problems moving site to another domain

(09-04-2019, 11:37 AM)daveĀ friend Wrote: If might have been easier to leave all the files etc. in place and simply change the Domain Name Server settings from abc.net to abc.com. The all you need to do is change $config['base_url'] and you would most likely be up and running. You would have to look closely for any hardcoded URLs to the full .net domain. (Which best practices would not have allowed.) Smile

Obviously, you would need to replace the SSL certificates for .net in the server with the ones for .com.

This approach assumes you don't care about the .net domain any more.

But otherwise, I cannot think of what else would need changing.

To be honest, I am now just switching domains under same server because I am testing if I can move the site to a different domain as of now. In the longer term, I would like to move the whole site to a better server and also under a different domain. I have looked closely for any hardcoded urls and changed them and I would think its unlikely that I have missed out on any although as mentioned, I replaced the correct url in config.php, routes.php as well as the htaccess files. I am currently using free SSL certificates provided by the server and they would also have automatically replaced the cert when i created the new acount with new domain. I think the solution could be something simple like php version (mine is php 7.3 btw) although I am still not sure.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problems moving site to another domain - by pantheonride - 09-04-2019, 09:42 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB