Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
New PHP Framework Benchmarks including CI4

I thought this was interesting. Though it's pretty basic, it's interesting that CI3 is actually faster than current RC CI4. Also looks like Laravel has become quite fast.

https://kinsta.com/blog/php-benchmarks/
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

I'm sure that down the road it will get a lot of new tweaks to speed it up.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

Nice find, thanks for sharing! I'm very curious if they tested it in a production environment. They stated:

"Due to the fact that demo content across each platform can vary dramatically, we made the decision to test the raw performance of fresh barebone installations."

If they used default development instance that would certainly hurt performance.

(01-07-2020, 12:09 PM)MGatner Wrote: Nice find, thanks for sharing! I'm very curious if they tested it in a production environment. They stated:

"Due to the fact that demo content across each platform can vary dramatically, we made the decision to test the raw performance of fresh barebone installations."

If they used default development instance that would certainly hurt performance.

what do you mean by a production environment?
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Not sure I agree with their findings though. Currently porting a CI3 REST backend to CI4-rc3 (both on PHP 7.3) and I am very impressed with the speed boost CI4 gives me.

Thank you CI4 team!

(01-08-2020, 02:51 PM)tgix Wrote: Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Not sure I agree with their findings though. Currently porting a CI3 REST backend to CI4-rc3 (both on PHP 7.3) and I am very impressed with the speed boost CI4 gives me.

Thank you CI4 team!

You got any benchmarks?

(01-08-2020, 10:26 PM)albertleao Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 02:51 PM)tgix Wrote: Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Thank you CI4 team!

You got any benchmarks?

I don't have a complete benchmark suite yet for the project so anecdotal:
Most notably is an "infinite scrolling grid" where most of the user interaction takes place. The frontend requests information from a >10M row database in 5 pages * 200 records as the user scrolls and filters in the list. The actual request goes down from 1.2 sec to 0.9 sec and according to Chrome waterfall, it is TTFB that shows the improvement.

Since CI3 -> CI4 is not an in-place upgrade but a major rewrite of my code many other things could affect this. For example I have defined the routes manually in CI4 where as I relied on auto-routing in CI3.

Hello,

This article is interesting ! There is work and research, unlike some other articles. I have some remarks:

1 / They compare the execution speed of the tools according to the PHP version. They don't compare tools with each others. Fortunately, because these tools are very different, and it would be difficult to compare CodeIgniter to Wordpress...

2 / They say they use OPcache. I don't know if it's a good choice. When they say "it improves performance", I hear "it changes performance". I think it has an impact on the results.

3 / If we look at the results as a whole. All tools combined. We see that 300+ req / sec is pretty good! Symfony does not do better ... yet they have a huge community. I think CodeIgniter has "nothing to envy others". I don't think speed is a real problem, whether it's old or new versions. CI will improve over time, gradually gaining first place in the ranking  Tongue Big Grin

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB